Extended vs regular chokes

Sweet Baby HayZeus! The doubters are out in force!

I use the releasable loctite blue which is removable I have used it for a decade like this for choke tubes on competition guns and also for screws on competition revolvers. Any time I have needed to remove anything I have had no issues.

The only limitation I have found is on T10 and smaller ToRx I would recommend the purple releasable loctite for those as the blue is too much torque for the wrench/bit.

Personally this is what I do. I haven't shot any chokes out, or fired any guns without tubes installed, and a quarter works like a charm if you forget your choke tube wrench. This was only intended to provide a possible solution to the select few that might enjoy a little less checking up on a choke tube.

Do enjoy your weekends.
Forest, I don’t think anyone meant any offense, just a few different points of view. By all means use what works for you….I like the “quarter“ solution - another good reason to always carry “cash”

I wouldn't buy an extended choke unless:

1)you have done some serious patterning work with your factory chokes, and/or

2)You want a choke with a different constriction than you have, ie Lite Mod

The only extended chokes I shoot are for two of my guns that have older style short factory choke tubes.

The only extended chokes I shoot are for two of my guns that have older style short factory choke tubes.
Meritman: Agree, I think “After Market” Extended Chokes “might” improve patterns in “some” shotguns —- slightly…. To determine How Much improvement (if any) will require extensive testing, various brands of shells and different shot sizes = $100s to really prove a consistent difference. Few shooters will really perform that level of “testing” but many will feel more Confident knowing they have a New $110 Choke Tube in their gun and think that’s why they killed that Gobbler at 65 yrds (it was really 40 yrds !).. So for that reason — maybe it is worth it? I do respect the Marketing Genius & Brain Washing behind the after market choke craze and admit there is likely “some” truth to it. But it’s called a SCATTER GUN for a reason and precision was never intended

Most factory chokes that I've measured are not true to what they should be. I've even received factory chokes that had 3 of the 5 tubes egged to the point that they won't even go in the barrel. The only exception to this are the chokes that came with my Blaser F3 and those are made by Briley...not Blaser.

I've had 100% correct measurements from Briley, Carlson's and Müller. These same chokes have also given the most consistent patterns across a variety of shotguns and constrictions. I'm not saying don't use your factory chokes, but they should absolutely be measured and tested with the shotgun and load you plan to use and at the expected distances. If they don't measure up, it's time to try something else.

But it’s called a SCATTER GUN for a reason and precision was never intended
Sorry @HankBuck but I completely disagree with this statement. These companies wouldn't invest the time, money and energy into the barrels if they didn't want precision. Extended forcing cones, special coatings, even special processes for making the barrels and attaching the ribs. They ABSOLUTELY want precision in their shotguns, I just wish they would take as much time with their chokes as they do with the rest of it.

Sorry @HankBuck but I completely disagree with this statement. These companies wouldn't invest the time, money and energy into the barrels if they didn't want precision. Extended forcing cones, special coatings, even special processes for making the barrels and attaching the ribs. They ABSOLUTELY want precision in their shotguns, I just wish they would take as much time with their chokes as they do with the rest of it.
Bee, my post must of “woke you up early” as we are both about to head into the Spring Turkey Woods !!..
—- you are the ONLY person I would yield to on this discussion because You are one of the FEW people that really does “extensive testing” on choke tubes with various ammo, shot sizes etc.. I know that You have found some chokes make a great deal of difference because You put the time and $$ into testing them in a controlled manner. Most Hunters NEVER do what you’ve done…. I am one of those Hunters that has only done “marginal testing” but my results with the few chokes I use have been satisfactory and therefore I’m not driven to research further. If I had a crap choke and badly blown patterns - I’d be doing testing on a better choke before I sell the shotgun and thats for sure. Now, get out into the Turkey Woods and get that Gobbler you’re after !!!

Thanks @HankBuck...I'll be on my way shortly.

I seem to enjoy the extended chokes best for reasons outlined above but don’t think there is a functional difference. I’ll add that rarely, if a choke was to loosen a bit, it’s easier to detect in the extended format.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeraldAshc

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?