ETHIOPIA: Northern Operations / Collect Africa / Dean Stobbs Safaris 2024

What a wonderful adventure, enjoyed it tremendously! Considering everything that is going on that part of the world, did you ever feel unsafe, or had that "what Am I doing here" moment? Any additional pictures?
I never felt actually unsafe, but I did wonder from time to time, especially when in the desert, what I was doing there.

If you look at a map, Ethiopia is bordered by Eritrea in the north (with which it is intermittently at war and currently has an active conflict); Somalia to the north, east and south (which is run by terrorists and provides a home for al-Shabaab); Kenya to the south (inter-ethnic conflicts as well as issues with the Oromia Liberation Army); and South Sudan and Sudan to the west (both in a constant state of war, and with South Sudan bordering on being a failed state). I could go on but you get the picture.

Then you’ve got the internal issues, most recently around Tigray (which burst into open warfare only a year ago) but also in Oromia and the Danakil. US personnel are not permitted personal travel to certain parts of Oromia (including where we were hunting) or the Danakil (which they refer to as the Afar and Amhara regions) for any reason.

That’s the big picture. On the ground, when everyone around you is armed (only the desert area), and they aren’t particularly friendly (just about everywhere), and you’re the only white face for some hundreds of miles, and you know the history of the place, etc., you’d have to be pretty unaware not to think about your safety from time to time.

As I write this, I’m tempted to think I was an idiot for going! But on the other hand, you rely on people who know the areas and the people to look after you and make sure you don’t get into dangerous situations. I had been to Ethiopia once before and I knew my team. In addition, I did bring a ZOLEO with me (probably not permitted but they didn’t know what it was), which I used to send my location home daily, and I promised my wife I’d have an AirTag with me at all times. In other circumstances, I may well have postponed the trip (although there’s no reason at all to think that things will improve in the future.

As for pictures, let me see what I can come up with. It’s a tough country to take pictures in (as if you needed more reasons to question the sanity of anyone who goes). People do not like having their pictures taken at all (I think heavily touristed areas might be an exception, though there people expect payment) and they don’t even like having pictures of their livestock taken (got into a bit of trouble for taking a picture of a herd of camels). Almost every structure or road seems to be strategic in some way and taking pictures of them could get you arrested (or so it seemed). A phone is about the only real way to take pictures outside of hunting areas - I would not walk around with a camera around my neck, other than perhaps in Addis.

Thank you @Hank2211 for the details! I'm sure you are aware we US has a military presence in that area. When Trump was president, my son was going to deploy to Somalia, Mogadishu out of the places in the world. I was scared sh*tless of him going to that part of the world, but I guess is one thing to go as a "tourist", vs. a "military tourist". LOL!

How difficult is it to get the mounts out of that part of the world?

Again, thank you for taking us along, enjoyed your report tremendously. (y)

Congrats and thanks for sharing, enjoyed the ride along!

Thank you @Hank2211 for the details! I'm sure you are aware we US has a military presence in that area. When Trump was president, my son was going to deploy to Somalia, Mogadishu out of the places in the world. I was scared sh*tless of him going to that part of the world, but I guess is one thing to go as a "tourist", vs. a "military tourist". LOL!

How difficult is it to get the mounts out of that part of the world?

Again, thank you for taking us along, enjoyed your report tremendously. (y)
For those who have hunted (or travelled) in the various parts of Africa, one of the unique features of travelling in Ethiopia is the presence and proliferation of governmental and non-governmental agencies at levels I’ve never seen elsewhere.

USAID, the EU, the UN, all have major presences in the country and whenever you see a new vehicle, you can be virtually certain it will have one of those, or similar, logos on the side. This may be due to the need in Ethiopia, although I’d argue that the needs elsewhere are just as dire, if not more so. What attracts all of this money to Ethiopia is, I’d suggest, its strategic importance to the West on the Horn of Africa. And that explains why there is also a military commitment by the West (by which I mean the US, which is about the only country with the resources and capability to be there). I wouldn’t be happy either if one of my children (all of whom are US citizens, even if I’m not) ended up there in a military role.

As for mounts, I don’t think there is an issue with bringing them out. Just takes time - everything ends up in Addis and waits until the government is done with sexing, aging and measuring. But it does come out eventually. A great mountain nyala graces a wall at home!

Thanks Hank for another adventurous hunting story. Congratulations on your great trophies. :D Beers:

IMG_0915.jpeg
IMG_0914.jpeg
Thanks for the adventure
I don’t blame you for being “ uncomfortable “ around the locals
the pictures alone give me PTSD from being in North Africa, I don’t think I would ever want to return, after being there in the 1990’s
your pictures sum up the crazy Northern Africa is, was , and forever

View attachment 602816View attachment 602817Thanks for the adventure
I don’t blame you for being “ uncomfortable “ around the locals
the pictures alone give me PTSD from being in North Africa, I don’t think I would ever want to return, after being there in the 1990’s
your pictures sum up the crazy Northern Africa is, was , and forever

That's the African carry, with an AK-47. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you sir, as much as I love hunting with my guns and have confidence in them, I am starting to believe there is a value to being able to not drawing attention to oneself.
I've posted many replies on threads regarding things like the legality of camo clothing, and other rules and regulations which sound odd to Western ears. My perspective is the same as yours: When you're in a foreign country, particularly an African country where rules can be arbitrary and if not arbitrary, be applied arbitrarily, you should always look to minimize your touchpoints with authority.

Being right can often be very small comfort when you're dealing with someone in uniform or in authority who couldn't care less.

It’s always a pleasure to read a Hank write up! Did you ever get your Nyala? If you did I must have missed or forgotten. I’m glad you had a good hunt and made it back to Canada safely!

It’s always a pleasure to read a Hank write up! Did you ever get your Nyala? If you did I must have missed or forgotten. I’m glad you had a good hunt and made it back to Canada safely!
Thanks Arron.

I did get the nyala last time I was there - a bit of a long story, again punctuated by some poor shooting (although I had scope issues there). I really am not such a bad shot . . .

Thanks Arron.

I did get the nyala last time I was there - a bit of a long story, again punctuated by some poor shooting (although I had scope issues there). I really am not such a bad shot . . .

2016 it was that long ago?! How time flies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vanzierho

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.