Double rifle trainer complete

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had an idea for this project, both as a trainer for my double, and also as a working turkey/rabbit gun. I have really enjoyed hunting with my 470 so I figured I would set up a trainer rig as close to it as I could. I purchased a CZ Bobwhite all terrain model from a fellow member here. That is the green cerakoted model that comes with sling swivels and also has magnets in the extractors to aid in loading in a duck blind or other awkward situations. I sent the barrels to Sumtoy Customs and he machined one of his red dot mounts to fit onto the rib so I could mount my RMR. I also had him make me a set of turkey chokes what he turned down the outside diameter so they would both fit in the gun. I hope to pattern it in the next few days. Our turkey season starts next weekend. There is also a new 5 stand complex just a few miles from the house. I hope to get it broken in good before swamp rabbit season this year, I think it should be an excellent rabbit gun
20240403_124554.jpg
20240403_124606.jpg
20240403_124534.jpg

That’s a neat concept! Hopefully you whack a Tom with it.

Yeah, nice. I had a similar thought of using a side by side shotgun as a trainer for a big game double rifle, but havent done anything about it as yet.

How does it regulate?
Haven't put it on paper yet. The heavy TSS loads usually shoot to a different POI than filed loads and I will be that this gun was regulated for 7/8oz filed loads. I plan to shoot it tomorrow hopefully. I am also going to acquire or make some slugs for it just for the sake of experimenting.

I had an idea for this project, both as a trainer for my double, and also as a working turkey/rabbit gun. I have really enjoyed hunting with my 470 so I figured I would set up a trainer rig as close to it as I could. I purchased a CZ Bobwhite all terrain model from a fellow member here. That is the green cerakoted model that comes with sling swivels and also has magnets in the extractors to aid in loading in a duck blind or other awkward situations. I sent the barrels to Sumtoy Customs and he machined one of his red dot mounts to fit onto the rib so I could mount my RMR. I also had him make me a set of turkey chokes what he turned down the outside diameter so they would both fit in the gun. I hope to pattern it in the next few days. Our turkey season starts next weekend. There is also a new 5 stand complex just a few miles from the house. I hope to get it broken in good before swamp rabbit season this year, I think it should be an excellent rabbit gunView attachment 597288View attachment 597289View attachment 597290
Hiya
You could use .410 side by side. See the phots from Left Army and Navy started life as .360 BPE than converted to .410. good for solid slugs! Middle Alex henry .450 BPE and right 12 bore Manton

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 3.02.22 PM.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The turkeys are winning this year. We've got the rest of today and tomorrow to get it done. Going to get a gas station pizza and some refreshments and camp out with them for the next couple days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OctavioN51

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!