Do you need a licensed PH to bow hunt?

bruceb

AH member
Reaction score
I have been told by one outfitter that even as an international hunter you don't need a PH while bow hunting. This outfitter has CAE properties in limpopo.
Is this true?

The law states that an international non-resident hunter must be accompanied by a licensed PH, and hunting with a registered outfitter. That being said, the interpretation of what "accompanied" means can be pretty loose with some outfitters an PHs. I am aware of many instances where the hunter was dropped off by the PH to hunt alone. With no real presence of the law in existence in the bush on private land, it's nearly impossible to enforce. It probably happens a lot.

Regardless of the legalities, there are many good reasons why a PH should accompany any hunter into the bush with safety being paramount. Secondly, any hunter who is not familiar with African game will find it very difficult, if not impossible to properly judge the animals for age and trophy quality. It is for that reason alone that most any reputable PH or outfitter would insist on being with the hunter to make those judgements. Unless you are very familiar with the properties, the predators, and the game animals, I personally do not recommend hunting by yourself in Africa even if it is permitted by the PH/Outfitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIMPOPO ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT 2003, ACT 7 OF 2003

“client” means any person who is not normally resident in the Republic, who pays or rewards any other person for or in connection with the hunting of a wild or alien animal;

CHAPTER 5 PROFESSIONAL HUNTING
Professional hunters, hunting-outfitters, directors of professional hunting schools and taxidermists

Hunting of wild and alien animals by clients
50. (1) A client may hunt a wild or alien animal only –
  1. (a) if the hunt has been organised by a hunting-outfitter; and
  2. (b) under the supervision of a professional hunter.

https://www.sahunters.co.za/images/attach/conservation/provlegislation/Limpopo Ordinance.pdf

Attachments

• Limpopo Ordinance.pdf
    474.6 KB · Views: 34
As Dan noted there are plenty of instances where a hunter is dropped off at a blind and left on their own. A more experienced hunter with trophy judging skills, etc., able to keep in comms at all times with the PH by radio or phone, ok.
I personally have sat in a blind in complete solitude for 12 hours enjoying taking pictures and waiting to use my bow ....

Would I suggest it for a rookie. No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariamOliv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….