Did Lake City ever make 7x57 ammo or brass?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I'm trying to figure out a mystery with a box of 7x57 Mauser reloads that I found in my late father's stash. These appear to be reloads from 1969 using Hornady 120 grain spire points, IMR 4064 powder, and a mixed lot of brass cases. Of the 18 cartridges in the box, nine of them have Lake City arsenal head stamps (the other nine are Remington UMC). I am unaware that Lake City ever made 7x57 ammo or brass, but does anyone else know? Is it possible that these were re-sized from something else? I can't remember what all calibers 7x57 shares a case head size with.

Note - due to the age and a few cases showing some slight corrosion (see pics), I do not plan on firing these (not gonna risk injury or my rifle). I will probably pull the bullets and load them into newer brass with new powder, and discard the old brass and powder.

LakeCity_7mmMauser1.jpg

LakeCity_7mmMauser2.jpg

LakeCity_7mmMauser3.jpg

If he left them unfired for decades, there could be a good reason.
I've done the same and just procrastinated about pulling bullets.

No idea on LC making 7x57 brass, but I've never heard of any.

No, they never did. These were definitely made from .30-06 Springfield casings.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs! Tonight I pulled the 18 Hornady 120 grain spire points from the cartridges, and discarded the old brass and powder. I also found a mostly full box of Hornady 120 grain spire points from another part of my dad's stash; so I think I'll work up a load with them in some newer once-fired Hornady brass over a dose of Varget (starting with a range of 41-46 grains, per the Hodgdon website).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdalbertoP

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.