Comparing two 7x57's cases after firing

I saw a post on a Nosler reload forum. The guy had two cases that looked identical to what you have. He was fireforming new cases and the one on the right (in your photo) was actually 7x57 Ackley Improved - it's the cases he was creating. So maybe one of yours is that? An AI?
I was just going to write that it looked like an AI shoulder.

Here's a drawing of what is considered a 7x57 Ackely Improved chamber. You might be able to confirm that your chamber is an AI by fire forming a case at adequate pressure, +/- 45k psi, then carefully measuring the fired case. The fire formed case should be pretty close to these chamber dimensions... maybe within about .002" or so. If you confirm, with some confidence, your chamber is indeed a more or less standard AI, then you may be able to find a 7x57 AI sizing die for reloading. The next step I would recommend would be to determine the chamber length on which you base your best trim length for that chamber. Get a simple, inexpensive Sinclair chamber length plug gauge from Brownell's for that job. Of course Brownell's shows the 7mm gauge out of stock- call to get better info...
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 4.35.25 PM.png

l_749000784_1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.