Bringing rifle w/o assistance

I will be traveling from US to Johannesburg with 1 rifle for a hunt in Limpopo. Who has done this WITHOUT the help of Rifle Permits or Africa Sky? How was the process and how long did it take? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the additional expense.

Many times
Dm me if you need help

Yeah it's the best $150-$200 you'll ever spend. Please don't do this without a permit service. You'll likely be "tipping" SAPS that much anyway. Otherwise get comfy at the airport for an overnight stay while they "review your paperwork."

Mr. X handled ours. It was shockingly smooth. Even smoother than the UA personnel checking ours in EWR. We arrived, got our bags, went out through the exit. Our PH took us to Mr. X who said "go find your babies and hang tight." They had our paperwork in hand, serials and rifle make/caliber filled in. Read them the serial off the paper as they looked at our rifles. We were done in 10-15 min max.

U cannot tip saps
Be careful doing this
Its not an issue very simple with good manners and correct paperwork

Riflepermit.com get the meet and greet and rifle service. Front of the line at customs and 5 minutes for rifle to clear. Had a group that had been there for 2 hrs because there paperwork was "not right" hint pay me some money.

I will be traveling from US to Johannesburg with 1 rifle for a hunt in Limpopo. Who has done this WITHOUT the help of Rifle Permits or Africa Sky? How was the process and how long did it take? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the additional expense.
You can certainly do it. You will want to make 100% sure you have everything you need and SAPS 520 filled out correctly. It will depend on many factors how long it will take you to get it done. Time of day, personnel, TIA factors......
I would guess your outfitter would be picking you up so no worry about making a connection. I would hate to make him wait on you however. It can be done in one hour or I've seen over three hours to process SAPS at JNB. If you have 3-4 hours to kill it's no problem!

No question at all. Use rifle permits.com and their meet and greet service. So easy and well worth the minimal cost.

As others have said. If this is your first trip, use a service. I am on my 6th trip and use Riflepermits with the VIP meet service. Well worth the extra minimal cost on the safari. No hassle from others in airport. Speed thru customs and SAPS. My case did not show up on one trip, VIP meet guy went and found it, brought pics of case on his phone to us. Then told SAPS where it was. Without him and Riflepermits it would have been all on me to figure out.
Agreed. Plus I like supporting Marius and Anna who always greet us with a welcoming smile at JNB! I can't wait to see them June 28th on our way to Zim.

I've never hired a service in over a couple dozen trips. The SAPS 520 Form is long but, you only need to fill out a few certain sections. I do it so much, I have a SAPS 520 scanned in and set up in a form filler program with just those sections. Type the info in for myself and anyone traveling with me. Takes 15 min.

Print a copy and make sure you have a copy of your invitation/motivation letter, US Customs Form 4457, airline ticket(s) and passport - the same stuff you have to supply to a pre-approval service. I print out and make three sets. One put inside the rifle case (just in case the rifle misses a flt) and carry two in my carry-on. There are a couple of advantages of using a service.

They have your completed SAPS 520 already done/approved when you land and those are usually the first ones cleared at the desk. The service may include meeting you either at your arrival gate or just inside the main reception hall and walk you the couple hundred meters or less to the SAPS Firearms Control Office, clear your rifles and either take you to meet your ground transport if you're staying outside the terminal complex or walk you to either the City Lodge or Protea hotels within the terminal complex. I don't know if they collect you up the next morning to help you check in on any follow-on connecting fts.

If you're going during the high/peak months, June, July, Aug. There can be a 30-45 min queue at the SAPS office. Outside of those months, maybe, 10-15 min. Mostly waiting for the rifle cases to be transferred from the aircraft to the office.

For a first-timer, it might be money well spent mostly for the piece of mind but, once you've been thru it once it's actually pretty easy.

My view is clearing your own guns is like using non-premium bullets on safari. You can, but why would you? Both are a small cost compared to the total trip, so why deal with 2nd rate when there is a better way.

I've done it on my own (2022 RSA), I've used Afton House/Mr. X (2021 RSA - x2, 2022 Namibia, 2023 RSA - x2), and I've had the outfitter do it for me.

1) Doing it on my own I had zero issues and was the first one out of the office.
2) When the outfitter did it for me; I wasn't the last person out of SAPs, but I was towards the back.
3) Whenever Afton or Mr. X have done it, I've been one of the first out.
a) I've had zero issues
b)I had an issue in 2023 where SAPs messed something up on their end. I had a copy of what I submitted to Afton/Mr. X. The SAPs officer made it very apparent he wanted money, Mr. X turned it around on them and showed they messed up and should be paying me (still first one out).
c) I've seen others get their guns lost on a connection and Mr. X work his magic.

Personally, if I'm bringing a gun through Jburg, I'll always opt to use a Service (Mr. X), especially if I'm transitioning countries. It's some of the best money you can spend during your safari for peace of mind.

What are the typical fee for having a 3rd party facilitating?
$100 - 250 depending if you get a Meet & Greet at your gate vs, in the hall, or just at SAPs

$100 - 250 depending if you get a Meet & Greet at your gate vs, in the hall, or just at SAPs

We had the most budget PG hunt in the world. Cost of airfare and taxidermy with animals all in could have been $5,000 - $6,000 if you stuck to the package (hint: I didn't). $150-$200 was a "rounding error" for us. I probably spent $150 on souvenirs for my family there.

I could see renting a rifle, for sure. But yet people will try to scrimp and save $150-$200 on getting their $2500+ rifle and scope into the country...mind boggling.

U cannot tip saps
Be careful doing this
Its not an issue very simple with good manners and correct paperwork

Do you mean tipping...or "tipping." I have never personally done it. I used Mr. X. Which eliminated any sort of "tipping." Which is why you spend $150-$200 in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
writegenic.ai

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.