Best .45 ACP round for black bear protection

Well…45 ACP is a good round and I have 5-6 versions of them in different configurations. Great against humans but not against thick fur heavily muscled carnivores(But much better than spray). I won’t go into a lesser cartridge like the 9mm as it is quite ineffective against Black bears(I know this first hand after dumping a 15 round clip of +P 115 grain bullets into one).
When hunting in Alaska I used to carry my handy 44 mag with 300 grain (6 Rounds) hard cast bullets and felt if I had an encounter it would have worked, alas I moved to a 15 (190 grain cutting edge) round Glock G20 a few years back and have never looked back.

HH

Yeah, I hear you. But a G20 for half the price, more than double the ammo capacity and 16 oz lighter than the S&W is hard to resist.

Plus most people don't practice enough with speed reloads and doing so with moon clips can be difficult.

FWIW, my bear country sidearm is a G40 carried in a 2A holster chest rig… and my general purpose back country sidearm is a G19…

I pretty much carry a Glock of some sort or another every time I am in the woods (and most of the time when I’m not)… :)

Yes. I LOVE my G40 MOS 6"bbl. 10mm and G29 10mm. I put Trijicon night sights on both. Only need a G20 now. The 10mm is hard to beat with 220gr. hardcasts for four legged critters that might bite and 180gr. Sig V- Crowns for two legged fools that aspire to be somebody. LOL
IMG_20150827_114559_981.jpeg

Thank you all for your input, I have learned how wonderful the 10mm is. Since we have gotten off the original question anyway,
I'll throw in something else, if you are in a deadly confrontation where the bear makes contact, you can jam a revolver into your opponent and it will still fire. Most auto will go out of battery jammed into your opponent and not fire … Worst case scenario.
Why would you wait until an attacking bear makes physical “contact” with you to fire your weapon?

Doesn’t matter whether it’s a 10mm semi-auto or a big-bore wheelgun, in either case you’ll be this guy … the bruin’s lunch.

IMG_0485.jpeg

Don’t be ‘that guy.’ :oops: :eek:

Why would you wait until an attacking bear makes physical “contact” with you to fire your weapon?

Doesn’t matter whether it’s a 10mm semi-auto or a big-bore wheelgun, in either case you’ll be this guy … the bruin’s lunch.

View attachment 606347

Don’t be ‘that guy.’ :oops: :eek:
Didn’t say I’d wait, I said worst case scenario.
the attack could be so sudden & from such close quarters you didn’t have a warning.

Didn’t say I’d wait, I said worst case scenario.
the attack could be so sudden & from such close quarters you didn’t have a warning.
Well, if the bear is on you before you see it coming, it doesn't matter whether you're carrying a semi or a revolver. You won't get it deployed in time ... and then you're lunch.

That's actually happened in some documented "Bear Attack" cases - a split-second attack so fast the bear mauled or killed the armed defender before he could get his handgun out of the holster and into play.

So obviously maintaining a heightened level of situational awareness while out and about in known "bear country" is as important as one's choice of sidearm.

Ok, regarding your first point. Fair enough. Such comparisons usually aren't apples to apples. Yes, a lot more humans spend a lot more time around other people than bears. And there are a lot more man hours outdoors in general (and sometimes in thunder storms) than people in bear country. Fine, I did not make great argument there.

Regarding your second point, I didn't mention any ratios or assumptions. I just described the general differences in black vs. brown bear fatal attack behaviour as described in Herrero's book, widely considered a solid source on the topic. Herrero isn't a PETA activist. He was a wildlife biology prof at the University of Calgary who researched bear attacks for decades, personally investigated some fatal attacks, etc. He talks about bear defense in his book and is not anti-gun. He has stats in his book as of around 2000 but I don't have the book with me because I loaned it to someone. Anyway, the discussion on here got me curious. Unfortunately the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America) isn't as well organized as it used to be, and the stats are broken out decade by decade. But because I find this interesting, I spent a bit of time to tally up the decades. Below is a listing of fatal attacks over the past hundred years. I may be off by one or two here or there because I manually counted from tables by decade. The individual instances are sourced in the Wikipedia article. It looks like they are mostly news articles. I am extremely skeptical of journalists in general (and have been my entire adult life since the early 90s), but things like this are reasonably verifiable. The general numbers are consistent with what I remember from Herrero and whenever I've looked this up over the years.

Black Bear fatal attacks in NABrown Bear fatal attacks in NA
2020s
6​
11​
2010s
11​
18​
2000s
16​
10​
1990s
10​
15​
1980s
7​
10​
1970s
7​
9​
1960s
6​
3​
1950s
5​
4​
1940s
3​
4​
1930s
7​
3​
1920s
1​
3​
1910s
0​
1​
Total
79​
91​

So, slightly more brown bear fatalities than black bear. Since you mentioned that grizzlies are over a much smaller range, this suggests that they are generally more dangerous: fewer human interactions, but similar number of fatal attacks. While I find this interesting, I am not going to look up the precise location of each attack and examine the differences in areas where black and brown bears are both found, whether in Alaska or other jurisdictions. But given the relatively low total numbers, fewer than 100 fatal attacks by either kind of bear in North America over the past hundred years, when you start to slice and dice at that fine a level the numbers will get smaller and less meaningful statistically. Whatever the ratios are in various regions, it doesn't change the behavioural observations of how black vs. brown bears typically kill people.

Regarding your third point, ok, I get that the story sounds far fetched. I always found it amazing. I don't remember the exact details, but the pot happened to be on the stove when she fled the bear and ran into the cabin. Her parents were somewhere close by but not in the cabin. It's in Herrero. I can't personally vouch for the story but I'm pretty sure it was well documented. Regardless of whether that particular story is true, there is apparently a trend among almost-fatal black bear attacks where a determined human managed to discourage the bear. For sure, the bears probably could have killed the people in most of those cases, but it seems that putting up enough of a fight can sometimes make a black bear give up. That was my only point in mentioning that. Just something to add to the discussion here.

For sure, a good .45 ACP bullet would be much better than a fillet knife, a hatchet or a pot of boiling water against a black bear. And presumably also effective against meth heads or gangsters defending a marijuana field one happened to stumble across.
@Laniarius - Great post and interesting research, appreciate you taking the time to list those bear/grizz attacks by decade. It would seem clear (I think) that Grizz kill many more people then Black bears considering that Black Bear out number Grizz by more then 10 to 1. Also, the Grizz population has declined significantly in the past 100 years in Continental US where as Black Bear have increased. I think (no statistics to back this up) that the increase in Black Bear attacks is directly related to the fact that 1). There are many more Black Bears now then 100 years ago AND many more people living in close proximity to them. 2). People have gotten “Stupid” and Black Bear adapt well to suburban areas - garbage cans, human odor is common and they lose “fear”.
But you present a good case and valid points.

Was scrolling and saw this. Made me think of this thread.

"as much as I worry about being killed by a perfectly placed badminton shuttlecock." Now that's funny. I wish I had written it. True too!
You experts are fun to listen to. When I have been within huffing distance of interested black bears I was glad to have more than a badminton racket in hand.
But I do appreciate you taking the time to elucidate We the Unwashed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyJuan9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?