Anyone use a broker for import in Montreal?

CD24

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I'm looking for a broker to help me get my trophies into Montreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have used Cole International in Toronto. They ... SUCK! I think my brokers researched ways to screw up. What trophies are coming in? Anything Appendix 2 may be delayed. MAKE SURE THE SHIPPER SENDS THE STUFF FROM AFRICA by Wednesday or preferably earlier in the week. The airlines will try to delay shipment from Africa till the end of the week so it sits in their Canadian warehouse over the weekend waiting for Canada Food Inspection agents to do inspections the following week. That way you get hammered for storage fees. It's a racket.

I have used Cole International in Toronto. They ... SUCK! I think my brokers researched ways to screw up. What trophies are coming in? Anything Appendix 2 may be delayed. MAKE SURE THE SHIPPER SENDS THE STUFF FROM AFRICA by Wednesday or preferably earlier in the week. The airlines will try to delay shipment from Africa till the end of the week so it sits in their Canadian warehouse over the weekend waiting for Canada Food Inspection agents to do inspections the following week. That way you get hammered for storage fees. It's a racket.
Never had any of those issues. But I do all my own imports, only me to blame. I do not trust import companies to be as "on the ball" as I am. Its only money and I like to keep as much of mine as possible. My last importation was as smooth as it could possibly be.

I have no experience in Montreal as Op asked, but Vancouver seams to be very good. CFIA boss sent me an email stating all import ports have been "updated" on process. Both CFIA and CSBA agents were very good, but again stay fully informed and its YOUR responsibility, if you pass that on to an importer its buyer beware and your money. Mine were D&P and contained 5 CITES, still easy. Communication is paramount. My full report is on here under before and after hunt.

My advice is spend a couple hours learning process and do it yourself. Skip any importer.

MB

Never had any of those issues. But I do all my own imports, only me to blame. I do not trust import companies to be as "on the ball" as I am. Its only money and I like to keep as much of mine as possible. My last importation was as smooth as it could possibly be.

I have no experience in Montreal as Op asked, but Vancouver seams to be very good. CFIA boss sent me an email stating all import ports have been "updated" on process. Both CFIA and CSBA agents were very good, but again stay fully informed and its YOUR responsibility, if you pass that on to an importer its buyer beware and your money. Mine were D&P and contained 5 CITES, still easy. Communication is paramount. My full report is on here under before and after hunt.

My advice is spend a couple hours learning process and do it yourself. Skip any importer.

MB
I attempted to do my own import last time. Drove 24+ hours to Toronto, spent the night in my car and still had to come back without the stuff. All euro trophies. Again, anything that comes in on Thursday won't get released till following week at earliest. Turkish Airlines, Swiss Air warehouse, Canada Customs, and Canada Food and Inspection all drag their heels. I'm sure it's all a game to make business for brokers. Finally had to get my MP to light a fire under some beaurocratic asses. Then the brokerage and trucking company started playing their games. Here's the kicker: if I was bringing my trophies through the local border crossing myself, the customs agents there could do the inspection. But at mighty Pearson it must be done by CFIA, whenever they decide to get around to it. Somehow brokers can move things along a lot more expeditiously. I saw that first hand at the warehouse.

No idea of your specifics, I sent electronic copies of all permits to both CFIA and CSBA. CFIA emailed back that permits were perfect, only inspection to verify by CSBA. I did read, explain and have copies of all regs, rules and their special electronic site specifics also.

My crate arrived Thursday at 1800, I called at 0800 Friday to inform all, drove to airport for 11 AM Friday, cleared and on rd to ferry by 1300. No issue.

Rules clearly state that CSBA opens crate and contacts CFIA IF something is wrong, IE parts do not meet Canadian import Standards listed in AIRS. If all permits confirm AIRS standards and nothing in crate is wrong shipment is released. If Pearson CBSA is not adhering to those import rules then I suggest informing supervisors with copies of regs and an email to head office in Ott.

Nobody have any Montreal broker suggestions? Sorry OP.

MB

The problem is CSBA office is at the other end of the airport from Swiss Air warehouse. Customs had an office in the warehouse complex but closed it because of "leaky roof". It was on second floor of a four story building. CSBA would not go to the warehouse to inspect, claiming they had to wait for CFIA to do their part. And CSBA would not move the paperwork to the warehouse and then warehouse claimed they could not release the stuff without original copy ... which would have to be hand delivered to the warehouse because CSBA won't send anything by email attachment (their email address is secret). So I sent the truck driver to CSBA office to pick up paperwork and take to warehouse but they wouldn't give him the documents. All clearly an attempt to punish me for not using one of the racketeer customs brokers. Finally had to get my MP to straighten them out. It was unbelievable.

I don't know what it's like in Montreal but if you don't wear a turban, getting trophies shipped through Pearson can be a nightmare. Is what it is.

My suggestion to OP is contact a regional Montreal taxidermist to see who he deals with. Very likely the taxidermist does his own customs handling and for a fee might get your stuff through and onto a truck. He should know who to avoid and who will be helpful.

No idea of your specifics, I sent electronic copies of all permits to both CFIA and CSBA. CFIA emailed back that permits were perfect, only inspection to verify by CSBA. I did read, explain and have copies of all regs, rules and their special electronic site specifics also.

My crate arrived Thursday at 1800, I called at 0800 Friday to inform all, drove to airport for 11 AM Friday, cleared and on rd to ferry by 1300. No issue.

Rules clearly state that CSBA opens crate and contacts CFIA IF something is wrong, IE parts do not meet Canadian import Standards listed in AIRS. If all permits confirm AIRS standards and nothing in crate is wrong shipment is released. If Pearson CBSA is not adhering to those import rules then I suggest informing supervisors with copies of regs and an email to head office in Ott.

Nobody have any Montreal broker suggestions? Sorry OP.

MB
Yes, that is the "rules" that apply here at this border crossing but Toronto claims to be special. There supposedly Customs must wait on Food Inspection agents ... because they have more inspection agents available in Toronto and almost none here. It's all about job security. Bullsh*t in the tenth degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drmamambatu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.