African Small to Medium Game

wlambert

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Utah, Maine (USA); Limpopo, Eastern Cape (RSA)
Has anyone ever undertaken an African hunt focused on small or medium-sized game? Are there any outfitters who specialize? I'm thinking jackal, serval, caracal, civet, baboon, etc. Many outfitters list these animals, often as "animals of opportunity" but I would love to research a hunt focused on these species - perhaps in addition to some big game.

He's not a sponsor on here but used to be... Bossie of LBG Safaris.

I hunted baboon, porcupine, spring hare, genet (large spotted), vervet monkey, klipspringer, giraffe, zebra, sable, and my niece took a wart hog, springbuck, impalla and zebra. I hunted several other critters and saw plenty but missed a couple things, a jackal way out there, fast moving civit, and wildcat. Also saw some cool critters we had no permits for like aard wolf and bat eared fox.

@Royal27 just finished a successful "critter" hunt with him. I'm sure a report will be coming once he gets home;)

Africa Dec15 5223.JPG
Africa Dec15 5234.JPG
Africa Dec15 5231.JPG
Africa Dec15 5146.JPG
Africa Dec15 5176.JPG
Africa Dec15 5159.JPG
Africa Dec15 5079.JPG
Africa Dec15 5053.JPG
Africa Dec15 5039.JPG
Africa Dec15 5029.JPG

I believe most outfitters will cater to your wishlist. Even though most list these animals you are asking about as opportunity species, they can set up your hunt to focus on them also. Check out the sponsor outfitters on the site and ask them what they could offer

I keep trying to convince Bob that a giraffe isn't small to medium....

Had a great hunt with Bossie. He specializes in the critters that you mention. I will have the hunt report up shortly.

I will say that I'd suggest a 10 day hunt. These critters aren't east even when you focus on them! You can realistically expect one every other night. Maybe just a little bit better.

I have a hunt booked for Aug 2017 with KMG just for the small stuff 14 days to look for quality animals. On my list and itinerary are as follows. Fly to Durban SA hunt for Red Duiker and Oribi
Travel south and hunt for Vaal reedbuck. Then on to his base camp near PE and hunt Blue Duiker and Cape Grysbuck. This will almost complete my tiny ten. Only thing left will be a Dik Dik from Namibia which I will possibly do the following year with Nudmo safaris combined with a elephant hunt again. It would be fun to take one with a double rifle as I have taken all my tiny ten so far with a 375 or bigger cal. And solid bullets. I have found it more challenging to hunt the small stuff and more rewarding just to spend time watching these tiny and weary animals is amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?