African Huntin Boots

On the boots please buy/bring ones that have a soft type sole....a lot of these boots seem to have quite a hard sole, and it seems the people wearing them are oblivious to the noise they make at each step.....so soft rubber soles :A Thumbs Up:

Boots are personal and much depends on your feet. For example, lots of people want cushioning and arch support; I neither want nor need it.

I do think as a general rule, American boots are too heavy, too stiff, too hard-soled. A mountaineering boot should be a specialized tool, not the default option. Also, keep your environment in mind: vent holes designed to let moisture out will also let dust and sand in. I have some Arcto sealskin boots made in Namibia that are about perfect for Namibia. Just picked up a pair of Jim green barefoot boots that I’m looking forward to trying. I think a pair of Chuck Taylors would be perfect for the Caprivi if only they didn’t have vent holes. I’d want leather if in thornier parts of the country.
Let us know your thoughts on the Jim Greens. I was considering ordering a pair the other day. Keep going back and forth between the Barefoot boots you got and the Rangers.

On the boots please buy/bring ones that have a soft type sole....a lot of these boots seem to have quite a hard sole, and it seems the people wearing them are oblivious to the noise they make at each step.....so soft rubber soles :A Thumbs Up:
Yes it’s amazing how some people have know idea on how to place your feet so as not to make any noise. Dont tell my wife she is a shocker stomping around! It’s like she trying to kill the entire ants nest in one go :ROFLMAO:
Guess there’s not many who grew up playing Indians and Ninjas :unsure::LOL:

Let us know your thoughts on the Jim Greens. I was considering ordering a pair the other day. Keep going back and forth between the Barefoot boots you got and the Rangers.

I have 2 pairs of the rangers. The buffalo and the light tan colour ones...the buff ones are a lot more robust....the one thing that bugs the shit out of me with the ranger boot is the metal shank in the sole. I can feel it all the time, but worst for me is when walking on some of the very rough dried earth in our dambos ....as the shank becomes really noticeable and makes my feet ache...I only saw the barefoot ones on their website the other day as get emails regularly from the Vellie boutique in SA where I bought mine from when was down there....want to try them but will have to wait till can work out how to get them up here...the shank isn't a deal breaker just bugs me..possibly just me and others don't notice it ..I bought the Jim greens to try out as the Courtney's prices are lot more than when I bought my last pair, and also without going to zim I couldn't get the ele ones which are the ones I like...apart from the shank bugbear I am happy with the buff ranger ones...the guy in the vellie boutique shop when I said usually used ele Courtney boots said nearest in toughness is the buff boot so go for that....my tan ones use for general messing around wear...

I had been in the last Madrid fair and I saw a new boots brand.
Diotto, from Italy, and I fell in LOVE Diotto beccaccia pro

Last year I bought a pair of Cortney’s but the stitching was right against the bone below my little toe making them painful to walk in.
I took two pair of boots to SA last year.

1- Irish Setters Wingshooter.
Good thorn protection and a smoother sole for
quiet stalking.

2- Oboz for general use

IMG_0816.png

I did have to dig thorns out of the Oboz. Luckily no thorns made it to my feet.

I use Russel Stalkers, they are a short boot with a Crepe sole, very quite for spot and stalk. You will spend a lot of time in dry riverbeds with sand and rock. The Russels don't offer a lot of support, I'm 220# and they work for me. Any light hiker should work well but be careful of hard soles, you might end up in your socks for the final approach.

In your opinion which boot has the most quiet soul. I wore Salomon’s two weeks ago. light comfortable but very loud

In your opinion which boot has the most quiet soul. I wore Salomon’s two weeks ago. light comfortable but very loud
Don't know much about most of the boots mentioned...I found my Courtneys good and these Jim green are good as well....Russell moccasin boots as well...bout covers ones I have worn....they just need to have a soft rubber sole as these ones do....a lot of the other hiking boots seem to have a harder type sole, and its noticeable when you walking along....a crunch crunch on the dirt....I know @PeteG Uses a different SA brand and they good as well

I have 2 pairs of the rangers. The buffalo and the light tan colour ones...the buff ones are a lot more robust....the one thing that bugs the shit out of me with the ranger boot is the metal shank in the sole. I can feel it all the time, but worst for me is when walking on some of the very rough dried earth in our dambos ....as the shank becomes really noticeable and makes my feet ache...I only saw the barefoot ones on their website the other day as get emails regularly from the Vellie boutique in SA where I bought mine from when was down there....want to try them but will have to wait till can work out how to get them up here...the shank isn't a deal breaker just bugs me..possibly just me and others don't notice it ..I bought the Jim greens to try out as the Courtney's prices are lot more than when I bought my last pair, and also without going to zim I couldn't get the ele ones which are the ones I like...apart from the shank bugbear I am happy with the buff ranger ones...the guy in the vellie boutique shop when I said usually used ele Courtney boots said nearest in toughness is the buff boot so go for that....my tan ones use for general messing around wear...
Thanks for the insight. I’ve owned several pairs of Courtney’s and something about them just doesn’t like my feet. Might be me having flat feet but after a day or two my feet ache as well. They're either too small and too tight, or too big and loose. Trying to find a shoe with a much softer sole because you’re 100% right about US boots being hard and loud.

Any experience with the Kenetrek Safari Hiking boots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.