404 jeff woodleigh bullets expansion velocity?

mickb

Reaction score
Hi gents, new to the forums, never tried woodleighs but like the lower velocity expansion estimates for some of the bullets. Have only owned a 375 previously. Looking to get a 404 and run original ballistic velocities of 2125fps with the 400 grain. Woodleigh suggests 1900fps at min expansion. Not trying to sound funny but is that accureate and does the bullet stop expanding and pencil through at 70 yards( which would be about the speed the bullet has at that range)?

I heard their bullets in the general nitro categories actually expand down more like 1700fps in real life. I'm looking to stay with original ballistics for low recoil and nostalgia for an upcoming hunt and just curious what these bullets will do at range

That'll get you to 100 yards and still be at minimum impact velocity.

No reason not to get it to 2250 fps or so - that'll get you out to about 150 yards and still be at 1900 fps. That's the MV I'm getting with Hornady DGX bonded 400 gr. Haven't killed anything with it yet, but if you can tolerate the recoil at 2125, another 125 fps will also be tolerable.

The only Woodleighs I ever used prior to the factory burning down was for my 6.5x55, and I've had terrific success with them.

I've heard the same thing you have WRT the NE caliber bullets, can't imagine a cartridge whose other name is "404 Rimless Nitro Express" would be any different.

My experience with Woodleigh Weldcore SN has been with Non Dangerous game rounds and generally they were hitting above recommended impact velocities. They all worked and held together some, from memory were in the 80% weight retention. Camels and pigs.

From hazy memory ( got to be over 30 years ago now) I hit a pig with a 250 grain weld core out of a 35 Whelen over 200 yards away. I don't know what velocity it was doing but the pig fell over on the spot. Did not dig the bullet out but pig was dead.

From reading others experiences I would think the 1800/1900 fps is for max reliable opening. Should open at slower impact velocity but probably not open fully.

For best answer google Woodleigh and send them an email asking that question. Geoff is pretty good with answering these questions.

In 30 yrs of using Woodleighs on african DG. I have never had a failure with softs or solids. 404J great caliber.

Lon

I'll dig through my expansion test photos. I have a 400gr Woodleigh SN, loaded to 2160fps muzzle velocity. Did an expansion test at 50yds. Test was dry magazine, pine 2x4, 5 water jugs to stop. (Had 3 more water jugs just in case - to capture the bullet.) Memory serves it came out at 360gr+/- and beat to he'll but mushroomed and held together nicely.

My mistake - retained weight was 336.1gr

20240317_201602.jpg
20240317_201553.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot a number of buffalo with both the 450-400 double at 2125 fps, and I've always loaded my 404s at 2400 fps, with 93 grs of H4831. Both calibers worked quite well with Woodleigh bullets. I also field tested Geoff's 450 gr 404 RN and PPs and its a favorite bullet of mine in the 404. The RN for thick brush country and the PP for dagga boys out of the herd, The PP shows better penetration, the RN expands a bit bore..Given my druthers I prefer the 404 with the 450 gr. woodleigh at about 2300 to 2400fps. Good hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NumbersArr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,