375 RUM Any Fans?

I have had Remington Custom Shop 375 RUM since 2002. It has been to Africa many times and killed everything from Jackal to Cape Buffalo. I use to shoot 300 gr Swift A Frames exclusively but I recently had the rifle re-barreled and and re-stocked and now it really shoots the factory Barnes load with 270gr LRX very well, less than 1/2 MOA if I do my part. You will have not problem dispatching your buffalo with 300 gr Swift A Frames and it will work on any plaines species as well. And if you know your drop out to 400+ yards you can shoot long range on the plaines game if you need to.

I have used the 375 RUM to shot several hogs here in TX as well. Yes, overkill for the hogs, but that is how I use to practice shooting off hand and with sticks before I would go to Africa.

I have had Remington Custom Shop 375 RUM since 2002. It has been to Africa many times and killed everything from Jackal to Cape Buffalo. I use to shoot 300 gr Swift A Frames exclusively but I recently had the rifle re-barreled and and re-stocked and now it really shoots the factory Barnes load with 270gr LRX very well, less than 1/2 MOA if I do my part. You will have not problem dispatching your buffalo with 300 gr Swift A Frames and it will work on any plaines species as well. And if you know your drop out to 400+ yards you can shoot long range on the plaines game if you need to.

I have used the 375 RUM to shot several hogs here in TX as well. Yes, overkill for the hogs, but that is how I use to practice shooting off hand and with sticks before I would go to Africa.
Thanks for the information. We will do some wild hog hunting and perhaps Nilgai in south Texas before Africa.

The extra power and velocity of the 375 RUM is (properly) used to extend the range, not to increase the effects of close-in shots. 375 HH already has optimum velocity for close shots, and close shots is what you should be taking on buffalo. What is the point of dangerous game hunting if the animal is shot at long range?

With that in mind:
1) use a proper bullet- 300g or more. Your A frame is a great choice.

2) put an appropriate scope on it: 3.5 at the low end is too much. 2.5 is too much. 1.75 is OK, but in 2024, true 1x is available and is the best choice. If you are adjusting the rifle for a buffalo hunt, adjust it for a buffalo hunt. You’ve already got a scope suited to distance shooting; there is no need for a compromise, do-all scope. Put a dangerous game scope on it.

3) ditch the brake

4) handload to 375HH velocity (which will also obviate the need for a brake

5) worry not about 1 MOA groups. Once you’ve chosen an appropriate bullet, reliability, not accuracy is the important factor. If you are shooting 1 MOA groups with a dangerous game rifle, you are shooting too slow. Dangerous game shooting (whether 4 legged or 2) is not target shooting; it is about shooting as fast as you can to shoot accurately enough, not about taking your time to get a tiny group. A major complaint amongst PHs is how slow clients are to take a shot once the sticks are up. That slowness is the result of a target shooting mentality

6) it may be a compliment on a plains game hunt, but on a dangerous game hunt, if your PH looks at your rifle and says “we’ve got a sniper here” it is most assuredly not a compliment.

The extra power and velocity of the 375 RUM is (properly) used to extend the range, not to increase the effects of close-in shots. 375 HH already has optimum velocity for close shots, and close shots is what you should be taking on buffalo. What is the point of dangerous game hunting if the animal is shot at long range?

With that in mind:
1) use a proper bullet- 300g or more. Your A frame is a great choice.

2) put an appropriate scope on it: 3.5 at the low end is too much. 2.5 is too much. 1.75 is OK, but in 2024, true 1x is available and is the best choice. If you are adjusting the rifle for a buffalo hunt, adjust it for a buffalo hunt. You’ve already got a scope suited to distance shooting; there is no need for a compromise, do-all scope. Put a dangerous game scope on it.

3) ditch the brake

4) handload to 375HH velocity (which will also obviate the need for a brake

5) worry not about 1 MOA groups. Once you’ve chosen an appropriate bullet, reliability, not accuracy is the important factor. If you are shooting 1 MOA groups with a dangerous game rifle, you are shooting too slow. Dangerous game shooting (whether 4 legged or 2) is not target shooting; it is about shooting as fast as you can to shoot accurately enough, not about taking your time to get a tiny group. A major complaint amongst PHs is how slow clients are to take a shot once the sticks are up. That slowness is the result of a target shooting mentality

6) it may be a compliment on a plains game hunt, but on a dangerous game hunt, if your PH looks at your rifle and says “we’ve got a sniper here” it is most assuredly not a compliment.
All excellent points. I don’t really disagree with anything you’ve stated. While new to AH, I do have a lifetime of hunting, shooting and a military/LE background. I’ve learned to and strive to get an accurate shot off in 2-3 seconds or less when hunting and to keep shooting until the quarry is down and out! In fact, a complaint I’ve often received, “Why did you keep shooting?” Because he wasn’t down or was still a threat!

The consensus is no muzzlebrake! Many excellent points made on both sides. I’ve read that the Mag na porting with the 4 ports is a better option for dangerous game hunting if one must have ports in their rifle for recoil reduction. Not discernibly louder than an un ported rifle, reduced muzzle rise for quicker follow up shots but not as effective at recoil reduction as the traditional muzzle brakes like the KDF but still effective enough for more comfortable shooting.

I recently acquired a used German 300 Wby MKV that already had Mag na porting and do not detect it being louder than any of my other 300 magnum rifles without muzzle brakes. Still, all a moot point, since I can effectively shoot my 375 RUM without the brake.

Regarding accuracy, well I must confess, I’ve lived my life with with the famous Townsend Whelen quote, “ Only accurate rifles are interesting.” I believe most rifles are capable of close to minute of angle accuracy, even the big bores, it is the shooter who is not.

Since I have Leupold quick detachable mounts on my 375 RUM, I’ll install a quality low power scope on detachable rings so I’ll have two scopes suitable for both long range and close range situations. However, my 375 RUM may go to Africa as a second rifle, like many here I have an affliction, I get a particular rifle inside my head that I must have!

I have massive respect your above post. Too many people post looking for “advice” when what they really want is confirmation of their decisions. Whether or not you agree with my advice, you heard it and considered it.

100% with you on “keep shooting” if you have a target! Doesn't mean you have to shoot a heart-shot impala as it runs away, but in dangerous game hunting, a “tactical” mindset is the right mindset. Shoot as soon as you can shoot accurately enough for the job, keep shooting as long as a target presents, and reload the rifle immediately after the initial shooting stops.

The magnaport may not be louder at the shooting position. The main concern is the muzzle blast deafening the tracker and/or PH who is off to the side, so check out its
effects on others before making a final decision. And shoot at dusk to see what if any effect jt has on muzzle flash. If you are
shooting a buffalo in dim light, things are already suboptimal and it would be a bad time to blind yourself.

Three of us just booked a Cape Buffalo hunt for 2026.

I won’t lie, my dream rifle is a hogback CZ 550 416 Rigby! If I come across a good deal on one I just may have to consider!
Nice 375. Completely adequate for Cape Buff. If you decide that you must have the CZ550, I have a friend who wants to sell his. It is in the American style stock in walnut with iron sights only. Chambered in 458 WM. He bought it new about 20yr ago but never hunted with it and only fired a handful of rds thru the rifle. He has about four boxes of ammo for it in softs and solids. PM me for the price if interested. If it has to be a 416 you could have a smith rebarrel it. I already have a 458 or I would have already pounced on it. In my opinion, the 375 might be better than of the larger rds for buffalo. The A-Frames for the 1st shot are perfect. My only two suggestions are: 1) Load the mag with cup point, hydro-type solids for the 2nd or 3rd shots such as North Fork cup point or Woodleigh Hydro's. In my case the Woodleighs feed better and are my go-to. 2) Mount a 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO such as Swarovski, Leupold, Kahles, or other similar options that you like. You are not likely to be shooting at a buff out past 100y. You will want to be in close so the max energy from the bullet is transferred to the game animal to seek a quick ethical kill. I would think ideal is 50-70y. Use a lighted or red dot reticle to aid in fast followups.

Thanks for the great feedback! If I do take my 375 RUM, it’ll be sans muzzle break. I’ll remove and install the thread protector. Shooting will be off sticks and “scope eye” won’t be a problem. The Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 on my 375 RUM actually has a decent amount of eye relief. I may opt for a variable 1.75-6 or 2.5-8 scope better suited for dangerous game.
Take a look at a scope that has true 1x at the low range like a Swaro Z6 or Z8i so you can use it with both eyes open if necessary. I'd also opt for some sort of illumination like the 4A-IF reticle. Being able to see the "dot" on a dark colored animal that's resting in the shade will be much easier with illumination. Lastly, consider some QD mounts for the scope. Comes in handy to take it off for cleaning and transporting your high dollar glass.

Your choice of cartridge is interesting. 375RUM would do well with some 350 grain Barnes TSX and if you don't reload, Hendershot's (link below) will sort you out. If you do reload there are excellent sources of 350 grain (and up) bullets that will get the job done on a buffalo very nicely. Keep in mind that faster isn't always better and it's OK to load down to H&H velocities. 2400-2500 fps would be an excellent goal for speed without killing your shoulder.

The brake...it's already been covered and you have conceded to remove it for the DG hunt. Moot point as long as you follow through.

The action is push-feed and that raises a lot of eyebrows around the campfire. Personally I don't care as long as you have several hundred rounds through your rifle and have worked the action HARD & FAST to insure reliability. If it works for you, hunt it.

Best of luck to you and welcome to AH. Looking forward to your hunt report.

https://hendershots.net/product/375-remington-ultra-mag-extreme-custom-ammo/

Attachments

• 375 Remington Ultra Mag Extreme Custom Ammo.pdf
    486 KB · Views: 14
Nice 375. Completely adequate for Cape Buff. If you decide that you must have the CZ550, I have a friend who wants to sell his. It is in the American style stock in walnut with iron sights only. Chambered in 458 WM. He bought it new about 20yr ago but never hunted with it and only fired a handful of rds thru the rifle. He has about four boxes of ammo for it in softs and solids. PM me for the price if interested. If it has to be a 416 you could have a smith rebarrel it. I already have a 458 or I would have already pounced on it. In my opinion, the 375 might be better than of the larger rds for buffalo. The A-Frames for the 1st shot are perfect. My only two suggestions are: 1) Load the mag with cup point, hydro-type solids for the 2nd or 3rd shots such as North Fork cup point or Woodleigh Hydro's. In my case the Woodleighs feed better and are my go-to. 2) Mount a 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO such as Swarovski, Leupold, Kahles, or other similar options that you like. You are not likely to be shooting at a buff out past 100y. You will want to be in close so the max energy from the bullet is transferred to the game animal to seek a quick ethical kill. I would think ideal is 50-70y. Use a lighted or red dot reticle to aid in fast followups.
Thank you sir for sharing excellent information, it’s much appreciated! Our PH says no solids. All of us will be using either Barnes TSX, Swift A Frames or TBBC which he’s fine with. Actually my brother has some of the older no longer produced Winchester 270 grain Fail Safe rounds for his 375 H&H that perhaps some of the members here will remember, they’re quite effective too. Sounds like a great deal on the CZ I’ll PM you. This I know, nobody will have a hard time selling a CZ 550 Safari Magnum!

Take a look at a scope that has true 1x at the low range like a Swaro Z6 or Z8i so you can use it with both eyes open if necessary. I'd also opt for some sort of illumination like the 4A-IF reticle. Being able to see the "dot" on a dark colored animal that's resting in the shade will be much easier with illumination. Lastly, consider some QD mounts for the scope. Comes in handy to take it off for cleaning and transporting your high dollar glass.

Your choice of cartridge is interesting. 375RUM would do well with some 350 grain Barnes TSX and if you don't reload, Hendershot's (link below) will sort you out. If you do reload there are excellent sources of 350 grain (and up) bullets that will get the job done on a buffalo very nicely. Keep in mind that faster isn't always better and it's OK to load down to H&H velocities. 2400-2500 fps would be an excellent goal for speed without killing your shoulder.

The brake...it's already been covered and you have conceded to remove it for the DG hunt. Moot point as long as you follow through.

The action is push-feed and that raises a lot of eyebrows around the campfire. Personally I don't care as long as you have several hundred rounds through your rifle and have worked the action HARD & FAST to insure reliability. If it works for you, hunt it.

Best of luck to you and welcome to AH. Looking forward to your hunt report.

https://hendershots.net/product/375-remington-ultra-mag-extreme-custom-ammo/
Thank you sir for sharing your comprehensive information! I‘ve heard very good things about Hendershot’s. I have acquired a decent amount of factory 375 RUM 300 grain SAF and Barnes 270 grain LRX which is what I would most likely use. I do have a Leupold quick detachable mount on my 375 RUM already and some of the scopes you mentioned may cost more than my rifle! Although of the utmost quality! And they say buy the highest quality glass you can afford and then pay more! As I previously mentioned to others, my 375 RUM may be a 2nd gun on our hunt and I may very well acquire a CRF “heavy” for buffalo although I know it’s not absolutely needed!

Thank you sir for sharing your comprehensive information! I‘ve heard very good things about Hendershot’s. I have acquired a decent amount of factory 375 RUM 300 grain SAF and Barnes 270 grain LRX which is what I would most likely use. I do have a Leupold quick detachable mount on my 375 RUM already and some of the scopes you mentioned may cost more than my rifle! Although of the utmost quality! And they say buy the highest quality glass you can afford and then pay more! As I previously mentioned to others, my 375 RUM may be a 2nd gun on our hunt and I may very well acquire a CRF “heavy” for buffalo although I know it’s not absolutely needed!
I would never dissuade someone getting another firearm, however I’m a big fan of traveling light and only taking one rifle for nearly any trip.

If you were planning a mixed bag with a buff and some PG, the 375RUM is perfect. If you were to move up to a .416 caliber there is a good bit of overlap with the ballistics of your 375. The RUM with 350 grain bullets can be really incredible.

To open the gap a little more would have you in the .458 caliber range with a 458WM or 458 LOTT being the most common when it comes to ammo.

Having a 375 and a 458 would have you covered if you are PG hunting with the 375 and happen upon a monster buffalo…you would still be legal.

If you are looking for a real buffalo stopper, a 470NE double rifle would make an amazing addition to your collection. Of course those rifles come with their own set of issues, starting with the price.

Reality - 375RUM is all you will ever NEED for hunting Africa. If you WANT something more, you should absolutely do it. Best of luck with your next purchase.

If I were to take another firearm to Africa (375H&H is my primary) it would be an O/U 12 bore for bird hunting. Keep that luggage light.

I would never dissuade someone getting another firearm, however I’m a big fan of traveling light and only taking one rifle for nearly any trip.

If you were planning a mixed bag with a buff and some PG, the 375RUM is perfect. If you were to move up to a .416 caliber there is a good bit of overlap with the ballistics of your 375. The RUM with 350 grain bullets can be really incredible.

To open the gap a little more would have you in the .458 caliber range with a 458WM or 458 LOTT being the most common when it comes to ammo.

Having a 375 and a 458 would have you covered if you are PG hunting with the 375 and happen upon a monster buffalo…you would still be legal.

If you are looking for a real buffalo stopper, a 470NE double rifle would make an amazing addition to your collection. Of course those rifles come with their own set of issues, starting with the price.

Reality - 375RUM is all you will ever NEED for hunting Africa. If you WANT something more, you should absolutely do it. Best of luck with your next purchase.

If I were to take another firearm to Africa (375H&H is my primary) it would be an O/U 12 bore for bird hunting. Keep that luggage light.
On our first and only African hunt previously in 1997, my brother and I did take two rifles each in the heavy pelican cases with wheels, to SA for our hunt plains game hunt there but due to weight restrictions, we only took one rifle each, 416 Rem Mag and 458 Win Mag on the flight to Mozambique for our buffalo, hippo and crocodile hunt. Alas, that was 27 years ago, those rifles are gone now. I’ll post a story on that hunt sometime, it was an incredible adventure in Mozambique with the recent end of their civil war, fraught with various disasters and peril!

Anyhow, our 2026 buffalo hunt will take place in Limpopo, near Hoedspruit SA, so I think it feasible to take two rifles each on this hunt. Yes, in addition to buffalo, plains game will be on the menu as well as crocodile and hyena. Having read “Hunter” by J.A. hunter as a youth, I’ve always dreamed of a double rifle! There are even certain price points I could swing I’m sure, ah but I won’t, but the allure is there!

I’m trying to talk my brother into buying a beautiful double rifle, a Merkel 470 Nitro Express 140-2 with a professionally installed Trijicon red dot by J.J. Perodeau, 59 rds, with case currently listed for $13,600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afrimedia

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?