375 ruger or 416 ruger?

The difference is, the RSM is worth every penny of the currently inflated pricing.
I completely agree. But I'd still buy three new Rugers instead. Preferably in the Alaskan so I eventually could sell the SS/synthetic stock version to the manbun crowd when I'm done with it. LOL

Last edited:
For sure. That price is extra hard to swallow when I would already prefer the shorter action of the ruger and the non belted case as well as the stock options for the rugers.
The thing that has drawn me to the Ruger cartridges is the fact they were DESIGNED to be shot out of 20" barrels with little velocity loss. Not so for the large(r) belted magnums which I actually prefer out of 25" barrels which I also prefer. So, this is kind of going down a rabbit or warthog hole for me but it's all new and kind of an exciting change in my mundane firearms acquisitions in the past. Like I said, I've never owned a SS rifle or one with a brake, laminated stock or 20" barrel (well, I have a .308 with a 20" barrel) before. Time will tell I guess?

The thing that has drawn me to the Ruger cartridges is the fact they were DESIGNED to be shot out of 20" barrels with little velocity loss. Not so for the large(r) belted magnums which I actually prefer out of 25" barrels which I also prefer. So, this is kind of going down a rabbit or warthog hole for me but it's all new and kind of an exciting change in my mundane firearms acquisitions in the past. Like I said, I've never owned a SS rifle or one with a brake, laminated stock or 20" barrel (well, I have a .308 with a 20" barrel) before. Time will tell I guess?
The performance in a 20” barrel is definitely a big part of my draw to the ruger cartridges as well because I will be using a suppressor in the states and maybe in Africa as well once I figure out all the import /export logistics.

It is not really the cost of the rifles in some of the chamberings that have been suggested it is that they don’t perform as well with a 20” barrel and can’t operate in a standard action. That’s why the ruger cartridges were the only two I brought up, my one and only concern is ammo in Africa but that will only be a concern once or twice in life.

@SoVa I think you will like the 416. For North america I use 350gr bullets and if I take it to africa it wil be 400gr.

@SoVa I think you will like the 416. For North america I use 350gr bullets and if I take it to africa it wil be 400gr.
I have some 350gr. .416 Speer Hot Cor Mag Tip bullets coming from Midway. I've used the same bullets (and weight) in my .458WM for practice. They're a real stout bullet for the big bores.

I have some 350gr. .416 Speer Hot Cor Mag Tip bullets coming from Midway. I've used the same bullets (and weight) in my .458WM for practice. They're a real stout bullet for the big bores.
I was just looking at those and the swift A frames, would be nice to find a solid and tinker with the loads until they had a similar enough POI to shoot them interchangeably. The barnes TSX also seems like a good choice but a little more pricey.

Might be worth the investment for Hornady / Ruger to insure that at least a few boxes of 375 & 416 Ruger ammo is available in shops near Safari areas. Ammo availability seems to be the biggest hurdle for these rifles.
Maybe those taking Ruger rifles to Africa, could forget to bring a box of factory ammo home from their PH camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanineKeyn

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)