338-06

I don't really know what it improves but 338-06 Ackley Improved sounds way cooler than 338-06 A-Square which is the standardized cartridge.;)

Truthfully though, in 338-06 I think the performance difference between the standard and improved is negligible.
@Deepfork
I found the same with the standard 35 Whelen and the AI version. Not enough gain to justify the hassle and expense of the AI.
Bob

Does anyone have any .338-06 brass willing to sell?
Thank you

Dave, we will have new Norma brass in likely tomorrow. Also have Woodleigh hydros and will have more Norma oryx in 338.

The main benefit you get from the AI version is that you don't need to trim the brass as often. I shot a 06 AI for a number of years and found that I usually got 3-5 more reloads out of a case before it went to the trash can. That said if you run any brass at the ragged edge on pressure brass life goes south real quick.

The second part is if you are opening up a standard case to AI dimensions the correct way is to remove the barrel, cut back a thread and rechamber to the AI version. When you load a factory case in an AI it should be kinda a crush fit and upon firing it the case actually shortens a bit a blows out to the AI declensions.

Having a gunsmith cut a AI chamber from the get go has the head space correct.

There have been way to many bubba home smiths just run a AI reamer in and open up the chamber and the headspace is way outta spec.

I worked up my first load with my re-barreled M70 in 338-06 AI today. Cases I used are R-P 30-06 necked up and fire formed with light loads. Cases look great I posted a pick of a couple of them earlier in this thread. They are about 20 thousandths shorter than spec but I don't think that is an issue.

I wanted to try Alliant 2000-MR because I am having great luck with it in my 35 Whelen loads. I could not find any load data using 2000-MR in 333-06 so I calculated a load. Ended up with 58.8gr of 2000-MR and a 200gr Speer Hot-Cor. I was expecting 2725-2750 fps, actual was 2822. Zero signs of excess pressure. I will test accuracy at 100 yards on another day, but when I chronographed all 5 shots were touching on a 50 yd target.

I think I'll write this one down in the saved recipes book. Never had a one and done working up a load before!

I worked up my first load with my re-barreled M70 in 338-06 AI today. Cases I used are R-P 30-06 necked up and fire formed with light loads. Cases look great I posted a pick of a couple of them earlier in this thread. They are about 20 thousandths shorter than spec but I don't think that is an issue.

I wanted to try Alliant 2000-MR because I am having great luck with it in my 35 Whelen loads. I could not find any load data using 2000-MR in 333-06 so I calculated a load. Ended up with 58.8gr of 2000-MR and a 200gr Speer Hot-Cor. I was expecting 2725-2750 fps, actual was 2822. Zero signs of excess pressure. I will test accuracy at 100 yards on another day, but when I chronographed all 5 shots were touching on a 50 yd target.

I think I'll write this one down in the saved recipes book. Never had a one and done working up a load before!
A couple of details I should have included, just a 22 inch barrel. And I was shooting with a silencer. Have not tested any loads with and without the can on this rifle. On my .338 Win Mag velocity does not change much with or without the can. On the other hand on my .308 some loads are 50 to 60 fps faster with the can.

I have around 300 rounds through my newly re-barreled M70 in 338-06 AI now. Some of the results have been surprising to me. 185gr Hornady CX and 59.5gr of Accurate 2520 averages 3062fps. Hornady data max for the standard 338-06 with this bullet is 61.2gr of 2520 so I could push it further but no reason too. No pressure signs and good accuracy where I am.

It is amazing what can be done with the 338/06 & 9.3X62 mostly likely the 35 Whelen to but I haven't loaded for that one.

I loaded 185gr Barnes at over 3000fps & 180gr Accubond over 3100fps & could go more, my buddy refused to believe that i was getting more than his 300Win mag could do on the 30/06 case even when shown through the Chrony, he said it was broken lol

It is amazing what can be done with the 338/06 & 9.3X62 mostly likely the 35 Whelen to but I haven't loaded for that one.

I loaded 185gr Barnes at over 3000fps & 180gr Accubond over 3100fps & could go more, my buddy refused to believe that i was getting more than his 300Win mag could do on the 30/06 case even when shown through the Chrony, he said it was broken lol
I had the same experience telling a couple of guys I was pushing a 185gr bullet almost as fast from my 338-06 as I can from my .338 win mag. The 35 Whelen does the same for me with heavier bullets. With 250gr pills I can load the Whelen to within 40-50fps of what I get from 250 grainers in the .338 Win Mag.

I had the same experience telling a couple of guys I was pushing a 185gr bullet almost as fast from my 338-06 as I can from my .338 win mag. The 35 Whelen does the same for me with heavier bullets. With 250gr pills I can load the Whelen to within 40-50fps of what I get from 250 grainers in the .338 Win Mag.
Ok, HOW? I'm not arguing I certainly don't know enough to contradict so how do you get the same velocity in the same caliber and same weight bullet from a 30-06 case as from a 338WM (375H&H) case? Seems like if you push the WM case the same amount you push the 06 case you would maintain at least 100-200 fps advantage.

Ok, HOW? I'm not arguing I certainly don't know enough to contradict so how do you get the same velocity in the same caliber and same weight bullet from a 30-06 case as from a 338WM (375H&H) case? Seems like if you push the WM case the same amount you push the 06 case you would maintain at least 100-200 fps advantage.
I agree LOL! Does not make sense to me either. Anyway , I can get over 100fps more from the Win Mag, I never said the same velocity, you did. 3100fps vs 3200fps though is insignificant, and its very very unlikely it would ever make a difference on a hunt. I have a .338 Win Mag, I like it. But with these 185 gr bullets I'll take the 338-06 over the 338 Win Mag. 338-06 is lighter, quieter, less recoil more compact, burns less powder.

@Sarg
You've got to love those broken chronos.
@CoElkHunter reckons mine is on a magnetic fault line that increase bullet speed or some crap.
Bob

@Deepfork
Loads some 310s to 2,400 plus fps and show people. They won't believe that one either.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyHan

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….