20 gauge Goose Hunts

I shot 20gauge at geese here in Nova Scotia hevi shot number 2s out of a stevens 311 with slightly tighter than modified but not full chokes. I use hevi shot number 4s for ducks. I switched to a twenty after tearing a trap muscle at work.

My old 870 twelve gauge magnum has fixed full. I shot tons of geese over several decades using steel shot. Those barrels are one of the very few that can take it. But nothing bigger than BB and no velocity above 1550 fps. They say fixed full shooting steel (besides blowing some barrels apart) does not pattern that well. I don't know because I never patterned it. I just shot birds and didn't worry. If the barrel didn't hold up, I'd buy another with choke tubes. Lots are always available. But it's held up fine.
870 goose gun2.jpg

@Skinnersblade yes, a similar shoulder problem for me makes it easier to swing the 20, and light recoil isn't painful. @AustinH48 I have shot the BlackCloud for ducks but actually haven't patterned it with 2's. I have tried several brands of 2's without good results, though. I am now on the trail of 7 1/2 Turkey loads from Apex..............FWB

@Oldnerd We all have our favorites ........and our biases. But the posts on this thread have all been very informative and spot on IMO. Eg: One of my biases regarding hunting products in general, and the shotgun specifically, is this: if my initial experience is bad, I cannot go back and give the product a fair trial, or a chance at redemption. Bismuth shot and #4 steel fall into this category. On the opposite end, my limited experience with TSS was absolutely outstanding. Price being the only downside. But you make a good point and I will keep that in mind..............FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vida64600

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?