One rifle for North American big game?

Pretty sure this is a debate I don't want to get into with a guy who has 35Whelen in his name! If I was going to..... Mind you I am not..... But if I was.... id say ammo availability. If I dared to be even more petulant..... Again no way am I poking that bear!...... But I might be tempted to say something like..... Nothing that the 9.3x62 doesn't do even better yet.
@radname
You can say anything you want mate I have Teflon shoulders, the shit just slides off.
Now if'n y'all had said a 243 you would have been in for a real talking to.
Bob

It would be way too late boring to just have a single rifle for hunting North America.

While the 338's, and 375's will get the job done on all the animals why not have a few selections in the safe?

A 25 caliber for pronghorn and deer.

A 7mm or a 30 caliber for deer and elk.

A 338 or 375 just because.

If the big bears are included then I think you should pick something 30 cal or larger (.308, .30-06, 300 H&H, 300WM, or 338WM). If they’re not involved any of the 25cal to 7mm calibers would work. Several years ago I’d have leaned towards a 257WBY or 280AI.

My question is since this was started pre-covid and a lot of people commented before then would anyone change their recommendations given the ammo shortages, new calibers, and bullet technology? I’d preclude the 300 H&H now, and likely exclude the 257Wby & 280AI as well now. Taking that into account I’d probably say .308, .30-06, or 300WM even if the big bears were excluded just for ammo concerns and favor the .308 or 300WM.

If the big bears are included then I think you should pick something 30 cal or larger (.308, .30-06, 300 H&H, 300WM, or 338WM). If they’re not involved any of the 25cal to 7mm calibers would work. Several years ago I’d have leaned towards a 257WBY or 280AI.

My question is since this was started pre-covid and a lot of people commented before then would anyone change their recommendations given the ammo shortages, new calibers, and bullet technology? I’d preclude the 300 H&H now, and likely exclude the 257Wby & 280AI as well now. Taking that into account I’d probably say .308, .30-06, or 300WM even if the big bears were excluded just for ammo concerns and favor the .308 or 300WM.
If you can find a box of hinting ammo in .308, you would certainly find a box of .30-06.

If you can find a box of hinting ammo in .308, you would certainly find a box of .30-06.
Yes that’s why I listed those 3 calibers. I’m saying I’d personally lean towards the .308 or 300WM.

I used a 300 WM for years, beat hell out of that Rem. 700 BDL and the Leupold scope in saddle scabbard, truck, and just walking the mountains. I hit on the right load early and it never failed to to at worst cut 3 bullet holes touching at 100 with one often barely traceable. That rifle accounted for a lot of mule deer and elk. Now a Kodiak or Griz. I might have wanted to up my caliber just a tad. SKS I carried in saddle scabbard off season was a good coyote gun, so yea I kinda' liked those 7.62X39 (303) handloads for smaller critters. Sold or gave away all when I moved to Thailand and I sure would like to have that 300 WM still. One only for N. American game, my choice 300 WM.

I’ve come to believe the premise that magnums don’t kill any better than the same bullet in the same caliber from a ‘regular cartridge’. They will do it 50-100 yds further though. If you don’t need the range, it’s extra recoil to no benefit IMO. That said, if including the great bears, it’s hard to argue against the 300 magnums for all of NA hunting.

I think a two or three rifle battery is more practical though. I really should get rid of everything besides my 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. Instead, I’m adding a 375 H&H to round things out. I think a two rifle battery with a small bore and a medium bore similar to the classic African 300 WM and 375 H&H combination is the real hunt the world answer, but where’s the fun in that?

@Mtn_Infantry
After many years if trial and error, well a few errors like 270
I have come to the conclusion that my 25 and Whelen will do for everything I care to hunt
Bob

@Mtn_Infantry
I have come to the conclusion that my 25 and Whelen will do for everything I care to hunt
Bob
Really can't argue with this. I was thinking of it more as just a single do all rifle battery, but if you expand it to 2 this makes a lot of sense.

@Mtn_Infantry
Bob
The 25’s are amazing. My 257Wby wouldn’t be my first choice for a brown bear hunt but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. A charging bear, I’d want something a little bigger. The only issue I have with it is finding ammo in a worst case scenario.

I’ve got a stable of 25’s in the safe 250-3000 Sav, 257 Roberts, 25-20, 25-06, and a 257Wby.

The 257 weatherby IS a great cartridge. Fantastic deer, pronghorn and predator caliber. Good for the occasional elk. Not enough caliber, bullet weight or sectional density in my books for brown bear though. My minimum would be a 7 RM with 160 gr monos or 175 gr partition for hunting big bear. Practically speaking, it’d come down to the smallest cartridge both my guide and I agreed upon.

I know one guide in AK who asks his clients hunting costal brown bear to bring a 375 or 9mm rifle cartridge. And when they show up with a 30-06, he hands them the 375H&H camp rifle.

The 257 weatherby IS a great cartridge. Fantastic deer, pronghorn and predator caliber. Good for the occasional elk. Not enough caliber, bullet weight or sectional density in my books for brown bear though. My minimum would be a 7 RM with 160 gr monos or 175 gr partition for hunting big bear. Practically speaking, it’d come down to the smallest cartridge both my guide and I agreed upon.
Being a Non-Res I’d never take a 257Wby on a Brown Bear hunt. It was more of a hypothetical, like if I was a resident hunting Blacktail or Caribou with that gun/caliber, had a Bear tag in my pocket the opportunity presented to poke a really good bear a little ways off I’d consider letting the TTSX do what its intended to do. I’m no no means advocating for someone to take a 257Wby Brown Bear Hunting. Just saying if I had a Brown Bear Tag and that rifle in hand I wouldn’t automatically pass because it’s not “enough gun”.

That said, if I ever do a dedicated Brown Bear hunt, get moved to Alaska, etc a stainless 375H&H will be on my list of guns to buy.

Being a Non-Res I’d never take a 257Wby on a Brown Bear hunt. It was more of a hypothetical, like if I was a resident hunting Blacktail or Caribou with that gun/caliber, had a Bear tag in my pocket the opportunity presented to poke a really good bear a little ways off I’d consider letting the TTSX do what its intended to do. I’m no no means advocating for someone to take a 257Wby Brown Bear Hunting. Just saying if I had a Brown Bear Tag and that rifle in hand I wouldn’t automatically pass because it’s not “enough gun”.

That said, if I ever do a dedicated Brown Bear hunt, get moved to Alaska, etc a stainless 375H&H will be on my list of guns to buy.

Ah, I misunderstood. A stainless 375 definitely says ‘Alaska’ to me.

Ah, I misunderstood. A stainless 375 definitely says ‘Alaska’ to me.
I didn’t do the best at explaining my thought process. We’re on the same page.

I need to stop buying guns for specific hunts and holding onto them for sentimental reasons, especially if I’m doing taxidermy from that hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gongalbert03

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….