JAPAN: Has Anyone Hunted With Eric Rose In Japan For Sika?

Mrsinning

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Asia/M.East
Hunted
Denmark,Sweden,Germany,England,Türkey,Czech rep,
Hi there...
Has any one here been hunting sika with Eric Rose on Hokaido I'm thinking of going, but after Reading the threads here on AH, I would Like to get som Info WHO has been there and done that.

Hope to hear from someone!!!

Not sure if TOM ever made it over. A likely source though.

I have written Tom already, but no answer! Maybe there Are others who went for the offer!!

I do hope Tom responds to this with some info.
I had a hunter asking me about this hunt just recently but I had lost all of the info regarding the outfitter.

Don't quote me but I believe there were issues doing this hunt with rifles due to the restrictive circumstances of Japans firearms laws and it was either bow or loaner shotgun (no firearms importation).

im pretty sure it was bow only .....

Don't quote me but I believe there were issues doing this hunt with rifles due to the restrictive circumstances of Japans firearms laws and it was either bow or loaner shotgun (no firearms importation).

You got it. Bows, spears and loaner guns only.

If its the outfitter I am thinking of, the hunting report has done a few write ups on this. I belief there was so controversy around this hunt, but I am 99% sure it is bow only.

Where do I find these hunting reports???

**NOT**PERMITTED**.com - there was a quite a bit of discussion around these hunts, the name rose rings a bell to me

just type in hunting japan up the top right of the screen

Hi there...
Has any one here been hunting sika with Eric Rose on Hokaido I'm thinking of going, but after Reading the threads here on AH, I would Like to get som Info WHO has been there and done that.

Hope to hear from someone!!!
Yes I did it back in roughly 2017 with Eric, came home with two nice Stags. Pretty much the biggest Sika in the world and genuine wild models also

Yes I did it back in roughly 2017 with Eric, came home with two nice Stags. Pretty much the biggest Sika in the world and genuine wild models also
PM if you want more details and a review, it's mostly positive.

I remember reading a post a few years ago on another hunting website and was shocked to read the vulgar foul language that Eric used when going back and forth with another member

Best of my recollection, it wasn't even just regular curse words, but really foul stuff

I remember thinking that I wouldn't be around or hunt with a guy like that for free

Citizens are allowed to own a rifle in Japan, ten years after they have legally owned a shotgun. Largest caliber permitted is .411 bore (.405 Winchester).

Must of missed this before, I was one of the first non residents to hunt in Japan, for both Sika Deer & Brown Bear (didn't shoot a Bear) back in 2009/10 & did so for a few years after that, helping on some hunts as I guided on Sika Deer in New Zealand, Eric is a friend of mine, I really enjoyed Hokkaido, it is a wild place, also enjoyed the Japanese people I meet & hunted with .

The 30/06 & 300Win Mag were popular with the local hunters, using heavy bullets as you never knew when you might run into a Bear which maim & kill many people, from Hunters to Mushroom & Wild Onion pickers, most shot for the chillers as well, they changed to none lead while I was there & this made the Shotgun less effective & very marginal on the really big Stags, almost useless on huge Brown Bears !

Last edited:
Must of missed this before, I was one of the first non residents to hunt in Japan, for both Sika Deer & Brown Bear (didn't shoot a Bear) back in 2009/10 & did so for a few years after that, helping on some hunts as I guided on Sika Deer in New Zealand, Eric is a friend of mine, I really enjoyed Hokkaido, it is a wild place, also enjoyed the Japanese people I meet & hunted with .

The 30/06 & 300Win Mag were popular with the local hunters, using heavy bullets as you never knew when you might run into a Bear which maim & kill many people, from Hunters to Mushroom & Wild Onion pickers, most shot for the chillers as well, they changed to none lead while I was there & this made the Shotgun less effective & very marginal on the really big Stags, almost useless on huge Brown Bears !
Sarg, did Japan mandate non lead bullets for both rifles & shotguns now ?

With what permission could you hunt there?

Since I hunted in Heilongjiang/China and also in Primorie/Russia on the continent side, I also wanted to hunt on the other side in Hokkaido. The main problem was that the Japanese did not want to recognize foreign hunting licenses and therefore a Japanese hunting license would have been needed, but the test could only be made in Japanese. Using a rifle was, as @Hunter-Habib wrote it, another problem as Japanese gun-laws are very restrictive.

Yes over 10yrs ago lead was banned for all hunting in any firearm, more Bullshit of poisoning wildlife, Stella Eagles in particular (this is a huge Eagle) I have a Barnes 12ga slug dug out of a big Stag that hardly penetrated at all.

Not really something to talk about on a open forum, if you could sit the test in total Japanese & pass it, I suppose it could be done, hunting there is not something a US citizen should think of.

Saying that US military personnel stationed there can I believe hunt, some sort of special dispensation, there is nice bird shooting & salmon fishing to.

He pretty much focuses on Aussie and Kiwi hunters. So hard to get a good 8 point Sika in NZ unless its in a glorified Pen.
There are a couple of execeptions. Ngamatea and Poronui Station are free range private land stations in NZ but you will pay for a hunt there.
Japan is still the best bet for a giant Sika.

He pretty much focuses on Aussie and Kiwi hunters. So hard to get a good 8 point Sika in NZ unless its in a glorified Pen.
There are a couple of execeptions. Ngamatea and Poronui Station are free range private land stations in NZ but you will pay for a hunt there.
Japan is still the best bet for a giant Sika.

Not sure, but there are various subspecies of Sika deers. I shot this one 1994 in China.
Unfortunately, going Sika hunting in Japan was not possible.

Scan 9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enrique44Y

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,