ZIMBABWE: Zimbabwe With Buzz Charlton

Clothing: I know there is always interest in what clothing to wear to Africa. Here is what I’m bringing bottom to top. I travel in clothes that doubles as hunting clothes but doesn’t automatically identify me as a hunter.

For travel I’m wearing Courteney Selous boots, for hunting I have a pair of Courteney Jamesons. I choose Courteney not because I think they’re cool, which they are, but because I’ve got weak ankles that roll easily and drop me to the ground. Courteneys are wide and the feather edge is even wider. Makes these shoes very stable for me. They also are not tight fitting like other boots so I’ve never had a hot spot develop. Socks are heavy duty cotton socks although I have some wool ones but rarely wear them.

Pants. I really wanted to bring my Tag convertible pants but their pocket set up isn’t to my liking. Carhartt cargo pants are my favorite. Has a pocket for my iPhone (for pictures), a pocket for my pump spray Bullfrog mosquito repellent and sunblock, a pocket for a bottle of water and other pockets for chapstick, handkerchief, etc. Held up by a leather belt. For traveling and hunting in South Africa or Namibia color preference is a pale green. For the Jesse in Zimbabwe dark green. I’m not looking to piss off the elephants and get them to charge me like Ian Nyschens sometimes intentionally did wearing bright colors like white.

Shirt. For traveling I like Pendleton T-shirts. Today it’s navy blue. For hunting I really like the Tag long sleeve shirts. One size larger. Again green (or mostly green) because I’m hunting in the Jesse.

I’ve already shared my hat for this trip, a custom, wide brimmed fedora essentially.

To keep warm in the evening a pull over wool sweater.

I also have a pair of Teva sandles for around camp and fishing. Also brought swim trunks for the hotels and a ball cap for a backup hat.

Clothing: I know there is always interest in what clothing to wear to Africa. Here is what I’m bringing bottom to top. I travel in clothes that doubles as hunting clothes but doesn’t automatically identify me as a hunter.

For travel I’m wearing Courteney Selous boots, for hunting I have a pair of Courteney Jamesons. I choose Courteney not because I think they’re cool, which they are, but because I’ve got weak ankles that roll easily and drop me to the ground. Courteneys are wide and the feather edge is even wider. Makes these shoes very stable for me. They also are not tight fitting like other boots so I’ve never had a hot spot develop. Socks are heavy duty cotton socks although I have some wool ones but rarely wear them.

Pants. I really wanted to bring my Tag convertible pants but their pocket set up isn’t to my liking. Carhartt cargo pants are my favorite. Has a pocket for my iPhone (for pictures), a pocket for my pump spray Bullfrog mosquito repellent and sunblock, a pocket for a bottle of water and other pockets for chapstick, handkerchief, etc. Held up by a leather belt. For traveling and hunting in South Africa or Namibia color preference is a pale green. For the Jesse in Zimbabwe dark green. I’m not looking to piss off the elephants and get them to charge me like Ian Nyschens sometimes intentionally did wearing bright colors like white.

Shirt. For traveling I like Pendleton T-shirts. Today it’s navy blue. For hunting I really like the Tag long sleeve shirts. One size larger. Again green (or mostly green) because I’m hunting in the Jesse.

I’ve already shared my hat for this trip, a custom, wide brimmed fedora essentially.

To keep warm in the evening a pull over wool sweater.

I also have a pair of Teva sandles for around camp and fishing. Also brought swim trunks for the hotels and a ball cap for a backup hat.
You’ll also get a nice dark green CMS safari shirt at the start of your hunt. They are one of the best outfitters I’ve hunted with and Nyakasanga is supposed to be amazing. Hope you have a great hunt.

Personal Protective Equipment: No I’m not talking about those, get your mind out of the gutter. I’m talking about Eye pro, Ear pro, Sunblock, Bug repellent, Chapstick.

Eye pro: this was a little tricky. Buzz strongly recommended bringing sunglasses. I don’t normally wear sunglasses. So I had to go shopping. Cabela’s in Buda TX made sense since I was in San Marcos for a few days. First they had to offer ballistic protection so that narrowed the field. Second they had to provide the utmost in clarity so that really narrowed it. Like to just Oakley’s. Then I had to consider I’d be hunting in heavy cover so wouldn’t it be nice if they would not only protect my eyes from the bright sun but also brighten everything up, all while maintaining the utmost clarity. I grabbed three and took them outdoors. A beautiful bright sunny day with big puffy clouds moving through. Perfect. The first one was too dark. The second was perfect, I wasn’t squinting at all but the contrast just wasn’t as bright as I wanted. The third had me squinting ever so much but the contrast and brightness was exceptional. After switching between the two inside and outside I opted on the third one. We shall see if I chose wisely.

Ear pro: Peltor Tactical ear plugs for me. Stay charged all day. Offer a couple of levels of volume and work like you’d expect Peltors to work.

Sunscreen/Bugspray: Bullfrog Pump. Keeps the skeeters off me and is an excellent sunblock.

Chapstick: any that are SPF50.

Have a great time

You’ll also get a nice dark green CMS safari shirt at the start of your hunt. They are one of the best outfitters I’ve hunted with and Nyakasanga is supposed to be amazing. Hope you have a great hunt.
That would be nice. I got a shirt that didn’t fit and a hat with a tear in it

Speaking of shirts, I’m bringing three bright Hawaiian shirts, one for each of the trackers and one for the driver. I asked Buzz what he thought the guys would enjoy and he said they love bright shirts. Hope they get a kick out of them.

That would be nice. I got a shirt that didn’t fit and a hat with a tear in it
Huh, I actually only took one hat in a couple trips as the shirts aren’t what I like to wear; but CMS does a pretty darn good job on logistics all around.

Even as a bottom end client who has to watch a budget and cant do every year for long hunts they have treated me unbelievably well.

Sorry you didnt get what was expected.

The adventure begins today. Headed to the airport shortly to fly NOLA > Atlanta > Joberg, spend the night at the Intercontinental and then Harare tomorrow. Then transfer to a Cessna 206 to fly to the Nyakasanga concession for a 14 day Elephant/Cape buffalo hunt beginning Saturday.

Taking two firearms. My 1910 WJ Jeffery 475 No2 Jeffery double, and my 1914 Holland & Holland 375 H&H as a back up and plains game rifle. 60 rounds of ammo total. 40 for the double (30 solids and 10 softs) and 20 for the 375 (10 solids and 10 softs).

I used Gracy Travel as my travel agent because they are simply the best for my needs. Been using them for twenty years.

Let the adventure begin. Stay tuned.
Sounds like you are living the dream ! Well done you . Fabulous battery for your hunting . Absolute classics . Good luck .

Huh, I actually only took one hat in a couple trips as the shirts aren’t what I like to wear; but CMS does a pretty darn good job on logistics all around.

Even as a bottom end client who has to watch a budget and cant do every year for long hunts they have treated me unbelievably well.

Sorry you didnt get what was expected.
He was referring to a different operator on his hunt. I think you’d have to look hard to find someone who wasn’t happy with CMS.

He was referring to a different operator on his hunt. I think you’d have to look hard to find someone who wasn’t happy with CMS.
Correct, I should have been more specific. I doubt there is a better operator in Zimbabwe than CMS

Where are my rifles? Interesting thing of note. I’ve got Airtags on everything except me. Of course I’m watching them. Two of my bags (clothes and ammo) are on the plane. But my gun case is still at the concourse I landed at coming to Atlanta. I told the gate agent I had a bag that hadn’t been brought to the plane yet. He asked “is it a weapon?”. Yep. He said “they bring those last”.

He was right, it shows to be on the plane.

Where are my rifles? Interesting thing of note. I’ve got Airtags on everything except me. Of course I’m watching them. Two of my bags (clothes and ammo) are on the plane. But my gun case is still at the concourse I landed at coming to Atlanta. I told the gate agent I had a bag that hadn’t been brought to the plane yet. He asked “is it a weapon?”. Yep. He said “they bring those last”.

Not good!

You’re about to experience a bucket list hunt. I’m envious. CMS is a top notch outfitter. I hunted their Dande area a few years ago and it was epic. Enjoy and share your story!!!

If this is your first hunt with CMS I'm sure, like many others, you will come away thoroughly satisfied with your hunt and very impressed with how their hunts are conducted.
After three hunts with CMS you could justifiably call me a fan boy but I truly think you can't go wrong booking with CMS. They have great concessions, are expert in treating a client just right and getting you on to the game. I'm not suggesting they make it easy as you must put effort into the hunt but I'm sure you will rise every morning itching to go. My experience anyway and I've sort of fallen in love with Zambezi Valley hunting.
Best of luck and enjoy.

I’ve hunted the Zambezi Valley before, back in 2005. But I’ve never hunted with CMS before. In the last two years Buzz and I have become good friends and Mills and I have become good acquaintances due to his love of flying and me being a bush pilot. From those two relationships and of course devouring every video Buzz has made at least 40 or 50 times I am super pumped but haven’t really absorbed it yet because I’ve been buried in the sale of my company, meeting with lawyers for hours everyday. I NEED to get into the Jesse, :)

Well boys and girls here we go. See you in South Africa.

Ah, but what the lads really want to know is ...... which watch? :cool:

Have a great safari; can't wait for the hunt report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff88N09

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.