Rhino YT vid Wetpack test Rhino 9,3x62

PerH

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

A very good test of 9,3x62 and their various bullets for them . Note the penetration and behavior .

They would be very good in Jungle gun .

They have other video also , .500 Jeffery also .

Best bullet in the world....

These bullets look really impressive. The cutout is similar to TBBC but the mushroom is really different. I spoke to PHs that only had positive things to say about them. I wish they had a distributor in USA.

The test has some interesting findings. Penetration was not correlated with bullet weight. The heaviest bullet penetrated less than all other bullets. The 285gr bullet was the sweet spot outperforming all others. What would be interesting to know is whether all loads had the same muzzle energy.

The test has some interesting findings. Penetration was not correlated with bullet weight. The heaviest bullet penetrated less than all other bullets. The 285gr bullet was the sweet spot outperforming all others. What would be interesting to know is whether all loads had the same muzzle energy.
What is the SD of the bullets tested?

What is the SD of the bullets tested?
Same as the SD of any other bullet of that caliber and weight.

250 gr is .267
285 gr is .305
300 gr is .320

SD is a function of weight and diameter. Length is not part of the calculus.

Rhino Solid Shanks (basically a South African clone of Jack Carter’s Trophy Bonded Bear Claw design) & DZOMBO MK 6 Solids are some of the best African big game bullets in the market. Any custom ammunition loading service who offered these bullets would be doing the modern sporting world a huge favor.

A buddy wants me to help him with 9.3x62 loads...
Think I'll try the Rhino's.

Morning
I use the Rhino 180gr in my 300WinMag ... awesome performance!!
Really enjoy the bullet!!

A buddy wants me to help him with 9.3x62 loads...
Think I'll try the Rhino's.
It pays to measure what the max COAL is. Most 9.3x62 have a really long leade. In mine, practically every bullet I measured would seat as far as as a max COAL of about 3.38". SAAMI spec on COAL for 9.3x62 is 3.29"

I just did some load development for 286 gr A Frames, set them to 3.32". With 62.5 gr of 2000MR under them, I'm getting around 2475 fps (measured with a MagnetoSpeed), with zero signs of pressure.

I did a 10 shot ladder, starting at 58.0 gr, proceeding in 0.5 gr increments. I very consistently got right at 20 fps improvement in MV for each half grain step. No sticky extractions, no deformed primers, nothing, all the way up to 62.5

I did the same ladder for 258 gr Shock Hammers, but set the coal at 3.30", last shot was measured at 2503 fps. I'm pretty confident I could get to 2600 or a little over with these, but 2500 for a 258 gr bullet with a BC of .431 and the way Hammer bullets are reported to perform is quite good enough.

I used Gordon's Reloading Tool to develop the loads, and it was showing MV quite a bit higher (nearly 200 fps faster) than what I measured with my chrony, so I talked to Charlie on the GRT discord channel. He helped me with the calculation once he'd done some of his wizardry. The predicted data I got back from him almost perfectly aligned with what I had observed. The dude knows what he's doing.

I'd recommend using a ball powder over a stick powder. 2000MR and Ramshot Big Game seem to perform the best.

muledeer over at 24 hour campfire forum has the data for Big Game. He's a writer (or was, I imagine he's retired) for a gun rag or 3, a big proponent of 9.3x62 with tons of research on it. His take is set the COAL to the longest length that will still fit in the magazine and then fill the case with all the powder that'll fit. I believe his max load is somewhere around 64 or 64.5 gr of Big Game.

If you can't get Alliant or Ram Shot powders in RSA, I imagine N140 would perform about the same.

Morning
I use the Rhino 180gr in my 300WinMag ... awesome performance!!
Really enjoy the bullet!!
Thanks BrenGun.

How is the accuracy out to 400 or so?
We do a lot of hunting in hill country where the SOP is to shoot across valleys.

I had a look at my load development notes from when I tried them in my 30-06, and I see that I made a note about large discrepancies in bullet weights.
Could have been the batch...

It pays to measure what the max COAL is. Most 9.3x62 have a really long leade. In mine, practically every bullet I measured would seat as far as as a max COAL of about 3.38". SAAMI spec on COAL for 9.3x62 is 3.29"

I just did some load development for 286 gr A Frames, set them to 3.32". With 62.5 gr of 2000MR under them, I'm getting around 2475 fps (measured with a MagnetoSpeed), with zero signs of pressure.

I did a 10 shot ladder, starting at 58.0 gr, proceeding in 0.5 gr increments. I very consistently got right at 20 fps improvement in MV for each half grain step. No sticky extractions, no deformed primers, nothing, all the way up to 62.5

I did the same ladder for 258 gr Shock Hammers, but set the coal at 3.30", last shot was measured at 2503 fps. I'm pretty confident I could get to 2600 or a little over with these, but 2500 for a 258 gr bullet with a BC of .431 and the way Hammer bullets are reported to perform is quite good enough.

I used Gordon's Reloading Tool to develop the loads, and it was showing MV quite a bit higher (nearly 200 fps faster) than what I measured with my chrony, so I talked to Charlie on the GRT discord channel. He helped me with the calculation once he'd done some of his wizardry. The predicted data I got back from him almost perfectly aligned with what I had observed. The dude knows what he's doing.

I'd recommend using a ball powder over a stick powder. 2000MR and Ramshot Big Game seem to perform the best.

muledeer over at 24 hour campfire forum has the data for Big Game. He's a writer (or was, I imagine he's retired) for a gun rag or 3, a big proponent of 9.3x62 with tons of research on it. His take is set the COAL to the longest length that will still fit in the magazine and then fill the case with all the powder that'll fit. I believe his max load is somewhere around 64 or 64.5 gr of Big Game.

If you can't get Alliant or Ram Shot powders in RSA, I imagine N140 would perform about the same.
Thanks Sarge...

I can't say that I've seen MR2000 around, but I'll look a little closer next time I'm at a large gunshop.
VV N140 is readily available here. I also read with interest that Bob and Co. are getting good results with CFE223 in their 35 Whelen's. GRT seems to think that it will work quite well in the 9.3 too.

On the subject of GRT.... if you drive it properly, it can be extremely helpful.
Recently did a load with components for which there is no manual and virtually zero info on the internet. The GRT predicted velocity vs actual was within 4fps.

@sgt_zim,

I switched my 300 grain A-Frame load to Big Game, and it works well.

If NorthFork offered up a 300 grain I'd be testing that pronto...

Thanks Sarge...

I can't say that I've seen MR2000 around, but I'll look a little closer next time I'm at a large gunshop.
VV N140 is readily available here. I also read with interest that Bob and Co. are getting good results with CFE223 in their 35 Whelen's. GRT seems to think that it will work quite well in the 9.3 too.

On the subject of GRT.... if you drive it properly, it can be extremely helpful.
Recently did a load with components for which there is no manual and virtually zero info on the internet. The GRT predicted velocity vs actual was within 4fps.

I'm going to be in Jo'burg for an extra day on my way up to Limpopo in August.

Any gun stores you know of near OR Tambo (my hotel is really close to the airport) that would carry Rhino bullets?

Looking for .423, 400 grains.

Thanks BrenGun.

How is the accuracy out to 400 or so?
We do a lot of hunting in hill country where the SOP is to shoot across valleys.

I had a look at my load development notes from when I tried them in my 30-06, and I see that I made a note about large discrepancies in bullet weights.
Could have been the batch...
Hi FlyGuy

I have noticed a small variance in accuracy on paper, but it has performed well for me in field & my rifle seems to like them. I am in the EC so have had to make longer shots at times - out to 300m & even out to 360m. As long as I do my part they have been fine. I will carry on using them.
I think the new owner is putting some emphasis on quality.

Thanks for posting. I love seeing stuff like this. I wish I had the time to test a few myself.

I'm going to be in Jo'burg for an extra day on my way up to Limpopo in August.

Any gun stores you know of near OR Tambo (my hotel is really close to the airport) that would carry Rhino bullets?

Looking for .423, 400 grains.
None....
DM me the dates so I can see if I am availible, I could order them for you and make a plan to get them to you on that day or to your acommodation

@ Sarge,
The new Rhino factory is 10 minutes from OR Tambo airport.

True but you dont want to go ubering around JHB on your own....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobiasStor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.