One rifle for North American big game?

Great. Now go into any American sporting goods store and get a box of ammo. I even went into a big Bass Pro store and asked about 9.3x62. The clerk told me he had never heard of that caliber.
To be a useful "one gun for all of North America" cartridge it needs to have ammo available. I'm guessing that anyone shopping for one gun to do it all probably doesn't reload.
@Doug Hamilton the entire question about “One rifle to do it ALL” was first asked by a WOMAN — it is a blatant “Trick Question” designed only to limit Husbands from purchasing more guns…. Part of the stupid “Me Too” movement —- don’t fall for it !!

Just to clarify, I am not a traveled hunter like many of the members on the forum. I have just read a lot and take notes. Personally, I’m going to end up with a 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. I can’t hunt with typical centerfire rifles in IL. I am building my points in western states though, so rifles will be needed.

The 375 is definitely for Africa. You all have corrupted me with the hunt reports.
Yes. You have been corrupted as I was about 50 years ago, but it's just so much fun!

@Doug Hamilton the entire question about “One rifle to do it ALL” was first asked by a WOMAN — it is a blatant “Trick Question” designed only to limit Husbands from purchasing more guns…. Part of the stupid “Me Too” movement —- don’t fall for it !!
You might be right, my mother-in-law once asked why I needed more than one gun. Told her the you really couldn't hunt quail and elk with the same gun. Anyway, after 6 years we're still having fun with the question!

You might be right, my mother-in-law once asked why I needed more than one gun. Told her the you really couldn't hunt quail and elk with the same gun. Anyway, after 6 years we're still having fun with the question!
I’m not married for a reason but I’d have an awful lot of smart ass questions in response if someone asked me this. The first breath would likely be something like “Why have more than one pair of shoes, more than one purse or pocketbook, more than one shade of lipstick, more than one perfume, know how to cook more than 1 meal, more than one wrench, more than one screw driver, own more than one coat, nice dress, bathing suit, have more than one child or grandchild” then keep going with ridiculous more than ones before they can respond.

Ever since I discovered the joy of finding "the next gun", I've lost all appetite for any forms of "one rifle" talk. ;-)
You’re right, but lately I find myself questioning keeping all of these next guns and not selling some to fund other hunts, adventures, or guns.

Agree and even though I purchased a custom .375 H&H for my Griz hunt —my Alaskan Guide was a Big fan of the .30-06…he said “bullet placement is everything, and most clients can handle an ‘06”…. My only other custom rifle is an ‘06 and it does “everything”.
It would be impossible to argue against the .30-06 as a "one gun" for NA. I bought mine as my first rifle (at least the first I actually owned) at 18. Over the years I killed blacktails, a pronghorn, and a black bear. I also took it to Africa for PG on my first safari. I will say though, after a moose, black bear, mule deer (one at 384 yards), and misc. African PG that the .300 WM does everything with a bit more authority and with a little more reach, so that would now be my choice for all of NA game, but that doesn't make the .30-06 the wrong choice.

I prefer one unique rifle and cartridge for every different big game species in North America.

Need a deer gun, elk gun. Moose gun, sheep gun, goat gun, black bear gun, brown bear gun, bison gun and so on.
Spoken as a true firearms enthusiast. Then you need to subdivide those. < 100 meters/yards, > 100 meters/yards, < 300 meters/yards, > 300 meters/yards.

Lots of choices for the single North American type animal's cartridge/rifle combination. The 7mm's, 30 calibers, 338's offer quite a few bullet options. And the .358's are not shabby as selection either. 8mm's would also have plenty of selection for me.

You’re right, but lately I find myself questioning keeping all of these next guns and not selling some to fund other hunts, adventures, or guns.
Yeah, but I have a hard time letting go of guns that I built good memories with. It feels like kicking an old friend to the curb.

Maybe someday I'll have to sell a rifle and tell.myself it's tough love.

Spoken as a true firearms enthusiast. Then you need to subdivide those. < 100 meters/yards, > 100 meters/yards, < 300 meters/yards, > 300 meters/yards.

Lots of choices for the single North American type animal's cartridge/rifle combination. The 7mm's, 30 calibers, 338's offer quite a few bullet options. And the .358's are not shabby as selection either. 8mm's would also have plenty of selection for me.
Yeah you can definately go down this rabbit hole. I'm personally running the following:

Deer hunting - 12 gauge (for shotgun only WMU, under 100m), for rifle areas, over 100m I'm using either my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or Model 70 Featherweight in 308.

Black Bear - From a blind I'm using my Marlin 45-70, spot and stalk I'm using my Ruger in 338 WinMag.

Elk and Caribou - My Ruger 338 WinMag.

Moose - My Marlin 45-70 for under 100m, CZ 375HH for over 100m.

Brown Bear - My CZ 416 Rigby.

Bison - My Winchester Model 70 in 458 WinMag.

Sheep/goat - Browning in 6.8 Western (future purchase).

If you're not going to hunt Grizzly or Kodiak Bears the 270 is perfect. I shoot a lot of guns but my 2 go to are 270 and 7mag.

As a reloader, it opens up the opportunities for a lot of different calibers.
My go to rifle for everything in NA since about 2003 has been the 7mm RUM.

Yeah, but I have a hard time letting go of guns that I built good memories with. It feels like kicking an old friend to the curb.

Maybe someday I'll have to sell a rifle and tell.myself it's tough love.
I’m right there myself, sometimes not wanting to sell while thinking of the future memories I could create with that gun. Which brings me back to having less tools, for more jobs, and each with more memories. It’s a vicious cycle that I can’t decide what is better.

I will say last year, i sold a bunch of guns I’d never shot or used almost completely funding my trip to Zimbabwe.

It’s called a 30-06. Bullets from 125gr to 220gr. Tried and tested in a couple of wars and by 1000’s of hunters worldwide!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8nplay

Latest profile posts

another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!