Mouflon hunt?

This one is mine, taken 45 minutes by car from the place I live.
I was waiting till hides were delivered from 2022 African safari, then took all to the taxidermist.

Muflon.jpg

Present distribution of European mouflon.

1699121310837.png

The European mouflon was introduced in all areas of Europe.

The introduction began very early, initially more than 8000 years ago with the immigration of Anatolian farmers to Europe. Original populations, descendants of these mouflons, can currently only be found in Sardinia and Cyprus, where they are strictly protected. The wild sheep were never a European game but a Central Asian one.

Despite everything, this shouldn't take away the fun of his hunt. Many species that are now considered wild were introduced at some point.

These distribution is not real at least in Spain and France you have there in 80% of the mountains in the country.
I think 80% is a big exaggeration. I’ve hunted beceite and gredos ibex. There were no wild mouflon in either of the areas I hunted or when I was discussing a stag/chamois hunt in near Leon. It was my understanding free range mouflon in Spain were limited to certain areas.
I’d expect the real distribution to be much more fractured than that map portrays.

I think 80% is a big exaggeration. I’ve hunted beceite and gredos ibex. There were no wild mouflon in either of the areas I hunted or when I was discussing a stag/chamois hunt in near Leon. It was my understanding free range mouflon in Spain were limited to certain areas.
I’d expect the real distribution to be much more fractured than that map portrays.
I'm from Spain, in Beceite areas are wild mouflon I can confirm this 100%, in North you have reason is more difficult to find mouflon but middle-west, east and South is plenty of them in private range are in wild range. Maybe you are true 80% is a bug exaggeration but is a expresssion to say that there are lots of them in the country, in the map that put Mark, the distribution is very little

The huge distribution area in Central Europe is also not entirely true. There are mouflons, but they are very distributed in small populations that have no connections with one another. In these areas the terrain is often not suitable for this species. In the east of France, in the swamps and floodplains of the river Rhine for example, I have never seen a mouflon.

As far as the European mouflon is concerned, one should not forget the Kerguelen Islands off Antarctica, where mouflons were also introduced at some point. In the meantime, they all had to be shot to put an end on the topic of environmental and animal cruelty.

In Croatia, Mouflon managed inland are mostly in high fence.
On islands and coastal regions they are free range.

My own preference of hunting comes from the fact they came from Sardinia and Corsica and personally consider them Mediterranean animal, thus I prefer to hunt them in coastal regions.

I'm on my way to hunt mouflon in Chez Republic 1.5 hours South of Prague.
Mouflon is a native animal here and their rut is right about now.
I'll post a hunting report after the hunt.
Generally speaking you pay a fixed 3-4 day hunting fee and if animal is taken it's priced according to CIC scoring system.
However there are no guarantees as it is free range.
How did hunt go?

Under European CIC system, "best buy" trophy size is just under bronze medal, for any trophy animal.

I have two mouflons from Aldealgordo, Avila, not too far from Gredos, hunted them in 1995.

They reproduce so well, you can find them in many areas.

My only caution is to insure you are booking your hunt in an area large enough to keep the animal from becoming habituated to humans. Mouflon or sheep, and are more than capable of standing around a feeder looking stupid if maintained on too small a property. There are s number of places to have that sort of "hunting" experience for one in the Hill Country of Texas.

Is bowhunting allowed in Croatia?
Unfortunately, not yet.
There are some clubs lobbying for this, but this has not yet been legalized.

This place has been on my radar screen for several years. I talked with them at one of the shows a few years ago and have emailed back and forth. It looks like a place my non-hunting wife would enjoy.

I am a bit proud, how Croatia becomes more and more popular hunting destination.
Thank you gents, on behalf of my country!
I haven't hunted in Croatia but absolutely loved the country we visited it on vacation. The coastal areas are spectacular!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrincessMo

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!