Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,

Boma (enclosure) - Wikipedia

A boma is a livestock enclosure, community enclosure, stockade, corral, small fort or a district government office, commonly used in many parts of the African Great Lakes region, as well as Central and Southern Africa.
Boma.jpg

One of the highlights of hunting Africa is sitting around the campfire in a Boma. Do you have any ideas or pictures for building an African Boma? What would you want? I think I want something rustic, sand floor, large wood fire pit, serving bar, large cedar dining table, with the front entrance facing the lake view.

Last edited:
Folding camp chairs...firewood...drinks near by...sand floor as you said...rifle leaning against the wall...maybe a soundtrack of some baboons, night jars, etc?

Curious to see what you come up with!

Sounds like a great idea if you have the space.
I think there will be a lot of envious members if you complete this project.
Keep us posted

I would like to make a cross between the one at Africa Sky and the one I saw at the De Klerk’s, but with a gravel floor for simplicity

1697073991882.jpeg

1697074112990.jpeg

So far, I only have the rough in of the fire pit (6ft diameter)
5864A13A-4654-4396-96F3-8A9223DEF36F.jpeg

Last edited:

Boma (enclosure) - Wikipedia

A boma is a livestock enclosure, community enclosure, stockade, corral, small fort or a district government office, commonly used in many parts of the African Great Lakes region, as well as Central and Southern Africa.
View attachment 563034
One of the highlights of hunting Africa is sitting around the campfire in a Boma. Do you have any ideas or pictures for building an African Boma? What would you want? I think I want something rustic, sand floor, large wood fire pit, serving bar, large cedar dining table, with the front entrance facing the lake view.
I am planning to build one when I add on to my trophy room. I've seen many and even in different countries. The best but also hardest and most expensive way to build it is with 8' select cedar staves. I have several fences made this way. I cement in a pipe every 10' and then bend and weld oil field sucker rods (3/4" or 7/8" or can buy 3/4" steel rods) between the pipes. If using oilfield surplus sucker rods they must be welded with 7018 rods due to them being magnetized from being down hole. All steel is treated with OSPHO and painted with an enamel paint (or skip this step and leave it rustic) and then the cedar staves are wired on. It takes hundreds of staves to make something like this. This will last for many decades.
keep us in the loop on how you build yours.
Philip

I am planning to build one when I add on to my trophy room. I've seen many and even in different countries. The best but also hardest and most expensive way to build it is with 8' select cedar staves. I have several fences made this way. I cement in a pipe every 10' and then bend and weld oil field sucker rods (3/4" or 7/8" or can buy 3/4" steel rods) between the pipes. If using oilfield surplus sucker rods they must be welded with 7018 rods due to them being magnetized from being down hole. All steel is treated with OSPHO and painted with an enamel paint (or skip this step and leave it rustic) and then the cedar staves are wired on. It takes hundreds of staves to make something like this. This will last for many decades.
Philip
I have been pricing 7' and 8' cedar staves and they are easy to find in East Texas around Lake Fork. I have a lot of pipe and square tubing so all I would need is the sucker rods or heavy rebar.

My Boma will be about 30' diameter facing west across the lake for beautiful sunsets. I plan on building a covered bar inside the Boma.

Philip

I think I need a picture or two to understand the concept :)

I think I need a picture or two to understand the concept :)
That thought crossed my mind after I made the post! It is usually early AM and dark when I am on here so I have to be reminded to take pics in daylight. Will do.

I have been pricing 7' and 8' cedar staves and they are easy to find in East Texas around Lake Fork. I have a lot of pipe and square tubing so all I would need is the sucker rods or heavy rebar.

My Boma will be about 30' diameter facing west across the lake for beautiful sunsets. I plan on building a covered bar inside the Boma.
Sounds like a plan!

View attachment 563214

I love this Boma, but I don't know how to build the metal ring used to stabilize the post.
No problem. Even with 3/16” flat stock just clamp in place and should not need to roll. Get it clamped in place and drill as you go. Run a string first to get it laid out and then lay out your steel. I think it would look good without paint and just let it rust. If more refined than me, paint with good DTM paint on both sides except on front where will be welded together (or hit with flap wheel) and have at it.

A Boma is usually built with thorn bush of some kind

Keep stock in and tossers out

You should be able to replicate that relatively easily

I played around with the African bush camp theme for corporate groups here in Cornwall

I installed outdoor speakers around the camp and mimicked a lion calling, fiollowed by suitable grunts and sniffing getting progressively closer - finally exiting round the back of camp

Played it during dinner

Went down OK (bit naff) and damn expensive as I used Bose speakers and cable

Fortunately the speakers and system are also used to add realism to medic and trauma courses that we also run

Last edited:
A Boma is usually built with thorn bush of some kind

Keep stock in and tossers out

You should be able to replicate that relatively easily

I played around with the African bush camp theme for corporate groups here in Cornwall

I installed outdoor speakers around the camp and mimicked a lion calling, fiollowed by suitable grunts and sniffing getting progressively closer - finally exiting round the back of camp

Played it during dinner

Went down OK (bit naff) and damn expensive as I used Bose speakers and cable

Fortunately the speakers and system are also used to add realism to medic and trauma courses that we also run

Do you have any pictures you could share?

Fantastic idea!!! I could do this on my farm! Once I get my arm healed I want to do this!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meixiqiuxing658

Latest profile posts

another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!