Form 4457 questions

jpr9954

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
I have two questions regarding the CBP Form 4457.

1. Besides the make, model, and serial number of the rifle, do you put the caliber?

2. Is it better to pre-fill the form using one of the fillable PDF versions of the form? Or is it better to have the info available and fill out the blank form by hand in pen at the CBP office?

I'm not leaving until May 30th so have some time. I do plan to use riflepermits.com to clear SAPS.

I have two questions regarding the CBP Form 4457.

1. Besides the make, model, and serial number of the rifle, do you put the caliber?

2. Is it better to pre-fill the form using one of the fillable PDF versions of the form? Or is it better to have the info available and fill out the blank form by hand in pen at the CBP office?

I'm not leaving until May 30th so have some time. I do plan to use riflepermits.com to clear SAPS.
Yes, absolutely list the caliber. It could be compared to your ammunition and South African gun permit.

I fill it out beforehand and then just have the CBP Officer sign, date and stamp it. I use a separate form for each gun but you can list more than one.

Yes, absolutely list the caliber. It could be compared to your ammunition and South African gun permit.

I fill it out beforehand and then just have the CBP Officer sign, date and stamp it. I use a separate form for each gun but you can list more than one.
I agree with Scott. i type all information into mine and even do PDF signing. My writing is terrible. I want everything on every form typed so easy to read. I do my 520 form the same way…all typed no hand writing

Complete description including cartridge designation. I also list the attached scope's serial number n the same form. My CPB office won't use the pre printed form. They always want me to fill out theirs in the facility.

I agree with Scott. i type all information into mine and even do PDF signing. My writing is terrible. I want everything on every form typed so easy to read. I do my 520 form the same way…all typed no hand writing
I am in atlanta. It is so easy with zero problems. I am in and out in 15 minutes

Thanks for the advice. I just did one for each rifle. I also did ones for the scopes, my binoculars, and my camera. I used a fillable PDF form that I found on AH and printed them out on my laser printer. They are very readable.

Now I just need to gather up all the stuff and drive down to the Greensboro, NC CBP office to get it signed and stamped. Fortunately, it is only 10 miles from my daughter's house and I'll get to visit the granddaughters while there.

Complete description including cartridge designation. I also list the attached scope's serial number n the same form. My CPB office won't use the pre printed form. They always want me to fill out theirs in the facility.
That's weird. The officers in Denver are always in a rush and like everything ready in advance.

I have never had an issue with doing it either way, pre-fill or write in.

I do have an additional question: Form 4457 is for the registration of personal effects taken abroad - boldly printed at the top of the form.

The info blocks ask the name and address of the owner.

What if you've borrowed or loaned the item?

Have you ever had a Customs Officer check the serial number online? They check them when returning to the US.

That's weird. The officers in Denver are always in a rush and like everything ready in advance.
Scott, My visit to CBP for 4457s usually turns in to a review of last year's hunt, , a preview of this year's hunt and a discussion on firearm cartridge choice for plains game and scope selection. I'm there at least a half hour, sometimes more. It probably is different than some facilities.

My local office wants to fill it in all by themselves. The first time I went there I had it all typed out, they took the forum up to their office and coped it onto one of their own and handed me both of them with only the one that they filled out signed and stamped.

As to ownership, I would just claim ownership to everything even if it is borrowed.

The office I use in Freeport Tx is great.
They want it all filled out ahead of time. I just show up, no appointment needed.
Walk in tell them what I need and they come out to the truck and verify serials. They don't want them brought in building.
They stamp and sign and gone in 15 min.
I put each gun on its own form. I usually take 3-4 when I go. That way incase something happens at last minute to the primary gun I have the form already for a backup.

My local office wants to fill it in all by themselves. The first time I went there I had it all typed out, they took the forum up to their office and coped it onto one of their own and handed me both of them with only the one that they filled out signed and stamped.

As to ownership, I would just claim ownership to everything even if it is borrowed.
Typical government people doing it somewhat different at each location. Officers in Denver accepted my pre-printed forms that are 8.5”x11” paper and printed off from government website. I listed rifle as “Winchester Model 70 .338WM Serial# GXXXXXXX” and they liked that, stamped it, dated it and signed it. No issues with any of my forms for other rifles either.

I use the CBP office at the Palm Beach International airport. Come in with all forms pre-printed, different form for each rifle, they stamp and sign it and I'm on my way. Less than half hour, including the obligatory BS session concerning where I'm hunting now. Easy peasy.

Typical government people doing it somewhat different at each location. Officers in Denver accepted my pre-printed forms that are 8.5”x11” paper and printed off from government website. I listed rifle as “Winchester Model 70 .338WM Serial# GXXXXXXX” and they liked that, stamped it, dated it and signed it. No issues with any of my forms for other rifles either.
I used the Denver office a couple years ago since I was going to be there.

One big thing to do is to call the office that you plan to go to and ask them how they want you to handle your rifle. Some will want you to leave them in your vehicle and to call them when you are in the parking area. While others want you to just come into the office with your rifle in a case.

The office I use in Freeport Tx is great.
They want it all filled out ahead of time. I just show up, no appointment needed.
Walk in tell them what I need and they come out to the truck and verify serials. They don't want them brought in building.
They stamp and sign and gone in 15 min.
I put each gun on its own form. I usually take 3-4 when I go. That way incase something happens at last minute to the primary gun I have the form already for a backup.
Interesting they are all different. In Atlanta my last three times they don’t even inspect my guns. When I asked why they said they would inspect me enough when I come back to US

I use the CBP office at the Palm Beach International airport. Come in with all forms pre-printed, different form for each rifle, they stamp and sign it and I'm on my way. Less than half hour, including the obligatory BS session concerning where I'm hunting now. Easy peasy.
Kind of a sidebar but one time I was working in Palm Beach and found a pellet gun at Walmart 80 percent off, so I bought that and a case and such before I flew home (domestic). The American agents seemed very chuffed that someone would have a rifle. The TSA guy thought it was hilarious when they called me for inspection of the case.

I was at Detroit CBP office today with my 4457 forms, completed online and printed 8.5” x 11”. Friendly staff and efficient visit. Remember to make sure that they both sign and stamp the form. They even game me a few extra copies back.

I’m working with Gracy travel to do my SAPS permit, they had a nice online form to complete, made it very easy, I think I’m ready for my May trip other than a little more shooting practice.

I got my forms signed and stamped on Monday at the Greensboro, NC CBP office. I had called ahead to make sure they would be there. Got in and out in about 15 minutes. They were quite friendly and wanted to know where I'd be hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul 405

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.