Dip and pack finally complete, shipping question

Luckily for me I'm more of a skull guy. Doing all mine as euros, getting a couple rugs and turning the warthog hide into leather. Anyone her have any guesses on the crate size for a warthog, impala, blue wildebeest, kudu and a gemsbok? Again just skulls and rugs.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how small a crate you'll receive. The horns can come off the skull and lay flat. I brought back a very similar selection although the skulls were not mounted on wooden plaques. No rugs from that hunt. It was a number of years ago, but I'd estimate the size of the crate was rougly 40 inches long, by 18" wide by 14" deep. I had it come through BWI (Baltimore) airport and was able to clear customs and pick it up myself. It required a couple of prior phone calls for info on the process, but they were surprisingly helpful and it went without incident. Took a couple of hours.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how small a crate you'll receive. The horns can come off the skull and lay flat. I brought back a very similar selection although the skulls were not mounted on wooden plaques. No rugs from that hunt. It was a number of years ago, but I'd estimate the size of the crate was rougly 40 inches long, by 18" wide by 14" deep. I had it come through BWI (Baltimore) airport and was able to clear customs and pick it up myself. It required a couple of prior phone calls for info on the process, but they were surprisingly helpful and it went without incident. Took a couple of hours.
I hope so. Probably won't be ready to ship for another 10 months or so but I'm already spending way too much time mentally fondling the horns. But I need to also spend some of that time saving. Lol.

Mine just cleared, being delivered Wednesday.

Swift Dip, crate, dip, clean, documentation, Limpopo. 7 animals hides horns, great service. $1075.00

Badger Logistic, great communications, ship on Turkish to IAH Houston…$1400.00

Pro Cargo, Houston, clear all three agencies, paperwork, deliver to taxidermist $1080.00. John and Cindy did a great job and communicated throughout the process.

Very pleased with the service and coordination between all 3, best shipping return to the US in 3 trips over.

Mine just cleared, being delivered Wednesday.

Swift Dip, crate, dip, clean, documentation, Limpopo. 7 animals hides horns, great service. $1075.00

Badger Logistic, great communications, ship on Turkish to IAH Houston…$1400.00

Pro Cargo, Houston, clear all three agencies, paperwork, deliver to taxidermist $1080.00. John and Cindy did a great job and communicated throughout the process.

Very pleased with the service and coordination between all 3, best shipping return to the US in 3 trips over.
Sounds great, get us some pictures

What would you estimate weight was? I know it's too early to know for sure but if the shipping cost is over $1,000, I'm seriously considering picking it up and bringing it back as checked luggage.

What would you estimate weight was? I know it's too early to know for sure but if the shipping cost is over $1,000, I'm seriously considering picking it up and bringing it back as checked luggage.
I do not know if you can do that, it will have to clear African customs with all sorts of paperwork and then clear here I may be wrong

As finished taxidermy, it shouldn't be an issue on the US side. I guess I need to check the African side. Anyone know who call in South Africa?

With your warthog in the crate bringing them back as checked baggage would probably be a non-starter, they have to go to USDA.

I did have PH friend come over and shoot a whitetail mount it here and took it back to RSA in his checked baggage through Doha with no trouble. This isn’t really relevant for a shipment coming to the states but I thought it was pretty ballsy.

Unless you are planning on staying in Africa for a couple of months I doubt that you would be able to swing this.

With your warthog in the crate bringing them back as checked baggage would probably be a non-starter, they have to go to USDA.
according to Laura at Coppersmiths a finished Warthog like a euro mount does not have to to USDA now just clears customs but a dip and pack hog skin will have to

according to Laura at Coppersmiths a finished Warthog like a euro mount does not have to to USDA now just clears customs but a dip and pack hog skin will have to
I do realize it’s not supposed to go to USDA as finished taxidermy, my last shipment did not contain any birds, swine or primates and it went to USDA. It wasn’t supposed to as finished taxidermy and this is part of what makes everything so frustrating. I used Coppersmiths in Atlanta.

Unless you are planning on staying in Africa for a couple of months I doubt that you would be able to swing this.
I'm talking about picking up taxidermy after it's already finished. I'm not planning on shooting something with the expectation of it being done prior to me leaving from the same trip.

Well I checked with US Customs and bringing finished taxidermy into the states is not a problem so now I just have to check on the SA side. I found this but am not well versed in international calling. I tried to call South African Customs and got a message that calling that number was not available. Anyone know if it actually is working number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YLPChriste

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!