Cleaning straight rifled sub gauge tubes

Null754

AH member
Reaction score
I find that using the standard bore cleaning process of Hoppe's, brass brush, bore tech jag and patches almost cleans the tubes.

I tend to repeat the process using Hoppe's and a bore mop.
Using both processes work for me.

At this point those tubes are clean, so says my bore scope.

What process do you use on your straight rifled tubes?

Pretty simple process for me…

Punch with an oil soaked mop… follow that up with a brass brush for a few strokes…

Then run the oiled mop through again..

Finish up with a few patches to get any residue out…

Really not any different than the process I use for rifles and smooth bore tube (do them all the same)…

Truth be told I only punch the tubes on hunting shotguns (and rifles) about once a year.. I’ll scrub them close to spotless at the close of the season… but that’s about it..

I do wipe down, use compressed air, and clean the actions throughout the year as needed (competition guns and range toys see several thousand rounds a year and need it a bit more often than hunting guns do)…

Speak to me of these straight-rifled sub gauge tubes.
Where does one find them and what are they used for?
Paradox type guns, or something undreamt in my philosophy?

I assumed he was talking about sub gauge straight rifled choke tubes… (like some turkey hunters use… )…

My solution is to pull the dirty choke tube and put in a clean skeet tube and then brush and mop the bore. The open skeet tube minimizes brush wear and works better with a close fitting jag. Meanwhile the dirty choke tube is getting softened up on the bench with a solvent soaked rag stuffed in it. I don't think the brass brush will hurt the tube threads but exposed threads pick up a lot of gunk that has to be cleaned before installing a fresh tube. When the bore and choke tube are clean, I put a little white grease on the tube threads and assemble everything. Done this way, choke tubes are easy to remove but don't back themselves out while shoot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shay778767

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.