Cites, hunting logistics

Do certain animals behind a fence require an additional permit or are they all covered under an exemption? We waited until we had a permit in hand to hunt a low fence reedbuck in Limpopo on one of my hunts.

Yes
Any tops, cites, or other animal not listed on exemption permit
There are many animals that nat con will not put on exemption permits

I’ve had no issues getting CITES II animals back to the US. It didn’t seem like any additional time. All the paperwork will get done in South Africa after the hunt. A customs broker just reviews the paperwork hopefully prior to shipping. Sable are not a CITES animal. I’m not sure if a South African lechwe would be considered CITES or not. They are not native there and appear to be a combination of red and kafue lechwe, not pure.
This is where it gets confusing because I’m sure some lechwe are on it ,(if not all) but I have seen that cites also seems to be country specific in some instances.
Again I’m sure I’ve seen some sable listed but I was hoping the most usually hunted subspecies was off it. It must also be very confusing for the folk signing off the imports which is a worry.
Yes certian species like Tsesebe, Black wildebeest common reedbuck and a few others even if you have exemption on the property needs those TOPS permits and some must be done before the animal is hunted.

Also for the night critters special permits need to be in place beforehand.
Baboons, vervet monkeys, jackal and caracal fall on tehir own set of permits in LImpopo for export.

KZN I know is very strict on permits even if the specie is not part of TOPS but maybe an outfitter or PH from KZN can chime in.

Use and Outfitter who is good with their paperwork and admin and there will be no issues but let an outfitter know what youre interests are as sometimes it takes time to get a permit in place.

Funnily KZN is where I’m going..

That’s also helpful. I thought if you took a desire to go out in the evening , you could just go and do a hunt on a whim but it looks like everything needs pre planned out

What are TOPS permits?
Threatened Or Protected Species, TOPS, this is a South African requirement !

@Frederik are you saying Black Back Jackal needs a TOPS or other permit in Limpopo ?

I didn't know that if so, the others yes & can be a hassle to get some times .

Threatened Or Protected Species, TOPS, this is a South African requirement !

@Frederik are you saying Black Back Jackal needs a TOPS or other permit in Limpopo ?

I didn't know that if so, the others yes & can be a hassle to get some times .
Sarg, in Limopo yes you need a permit to export for a Black Backed Jackal as they cannot be added to the exemption permit. But its not a tops permit.

Animals typically on and expemption permit are animals that can be moslty kept behind high fence.

Monkeys, baboons, jackal and more can move in and out of the fence as they please.

TOPS – Threatened Or Protected Species List​

In order to transport TOPS species for relocation, a TOPS permit application will need to be filled out. This application does however tend to take several weeks to process.

Below is a list of the most common mammals as listed in the TOPS Regulation.​

• Black Wildebeest
  • Bontebok
  • Cape Fox
  • Blue Duiker
  • African Elephant
  • Sharpe’s Grysbok
  • Honey Badger
  • Brown Hyena
  • Spotted Hyena
  • Leopard
  • Lion
  • Nile Crocodile
  • Oribi
  • Common Reedbuck
  • Black Rhinoceros
  • White Rhinoceros
  • Roan Antelope
  • Serval
  • Suni
  • Tsessebe
  • Cape Mountain Zebra

Really I have been working there for over 7yrs & never did I know that, but then I don't do the export paper work & some times things happen with Monkeys & Baboons .

In most country's I have hunted if you see a Jackal it can be shot, not sure on the Side Striped may need some thing for that, that's why I asked I thought you may have meant those or got confused with Ardwolf ?

Really I have been working there for over 7yrs & never did I know that, but then I don't do the export paper work & some times things happen with Monkeys & Baboons .

In most country's I have hunted if you see a Jackal it can be shot, not sure on the Side Striped may need some thing for that, that's why I asked I thought you may have meant those or got confused with Ardwolf ?
Sarg, permit is needed for export if you shoot a jackal, monkey or baboon and dont need to export you make the calculation.

hi all

info frederik posted here is correct
its not about whats gets shot, its about if you want to export any part of that animal. then u need a mountain of paperwork
biggest pain in the ass is a baboon or monkey, they really are vermin, but they are primates so they need a bang load of paperwork when they get exported
if you come to SA and hunt 1 impala i need to send the following paperwork along with the trophy
outfitter permit
PH permit
P3 ex permit
permission to hunt letter
PH register
certified id of PH
certified id of outfitter
copy of clients passport

and we are hunters, not business admin type of people

Sarg, permit is needed for export if you shoot a jackal, monkey or baboon and dont need to export you make the calculation.
A jackal? Wow!

This is where it gets confusing because I’m sure some lechwe are on it ,(if not all) but I have seen that cites also seems to be country specific in some instances.
Again I’m sure I’ve seen some sable listed but I was hoping the most usually hunted subspecies was off it. It must also be very confusing for the folk signing off the imports which is a worry.

Funnily KZN is where I’m going..

That’s also helpful. I thought if you took a desire to go out in the evening , you could just go and do a hunt on a whim but it looks like everything needs pre planned out
Ask your outfitter to put you in contact with his preferred taxidermy if he can’t answer question. They can likely give you up to date information. If not they can put you in contact with their preferred shipper who will be able to give you current information. Sable are not on cites list as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.