Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
A question for you guys that have done a lot more bow hunting and are more familiar with archery than I am...

Ive got an older model PSE bow (2007 model Mach X).. it is rated as a 60-70lb bow...

The limbs are almost maxed out (but not quite).. and I am currently pulling about 75lbs.. my guess is this thing could potentially go to 78+ lbs..

Is this a safety issue of any kind? the bow isnt showing any signs of wear or breakage that I can tell (Ive got maybe 100 arrows through it since cranking it up to 75lbs.. it was sitting at about 72lbs for the last couple of months and probably has 300-400 arrows through it set at 72 lbs..

Oddly enough, it actually seems to shoot more smoothly and comfortably at the higher weight.. feels much more dead in the hand.. I thought cranking it up would produce more shock and potentially more noise.. but if thats happened its been undetectable..

No. Its similar, but a different bow. Its the Mach X.

Just asking. Have a couple x force version bows with 80 lb limbs I love. Currently upgraded to carbon Mach recently with 80 lb limbs but by the draw gauge it’s pulling 84lb but tuned tremendously well. Clearly I’m a pse guy. Do you feel like bow tuned well? Both limbs set the same etc? I’m happy to ask a guy I know if you’d like

I think it’s tuned pretty well… arrows are flying straight, and consistent, etc… I might take it to my bow tech though just to have him go over it one more time before I head over to South Africa next month…

I’ve also run it through the chronograph a bit this afternoon to check consistency… 20 arrows through the chrono… all +/- 1 fps of each other…

It’s an old bow…but I’ve really enjoyed it… it’s got a really firm back wall, and a reasonably decent draw cycle for an old single cam bow… it’s no speed demon… but it’s flinging 630 grain sticks 221 fps at its current draw weight… should be plenty of KE and momentum to take anything that gets within range next month…

What is your draw length? 221 with a 630gr arrow from that bow are great numbers. You would be good on any plains game with that setup with the right broad head. Do you know which one you will be using?

The bow is short for me.. My actual draw length is 31"... the bow is currently set at 29"... I'd love to lengthen it, but havent been able to find the 31" mods for it anywhere..

A question for you guys that have done a lot more bow hunting and are more familiar with archery than I am...

Ive got an older model PSE bow (2007 model Mach X).. it is rated as a 60-70lb bow...

The limbs are almost maxed out (but not quite).. and I am currently pulling about 75lbs.. my guess is this thing could potentially go to 78+ lbs..

Is this a safety issue of any kind?

Hi Mr. West,

It's not uncommon for bow limbs to be cranked down to exceed their listed draw weight capabilities by a few pounds. Most limbs can safely carry draw weights slightly higher than their stated maximums. However, most manufactures obviously recommend that you do not do this for obvious reasons, and you will definitely void any warranty by doing so..

Even if there is room for more adjustment, I also suggest not to exceed 40-50lbs of torque when adjusting the limb bolts.. In other words, if you are cranking the limb bolts as hard as possible to get the most adjustment possible, you are likely exceeding the safe limits of the limbs regardless of the poundage. Additionally, 16-year-old limbs are going to be more brittle and less resilient to added stress. If you were my customer, I would not advise you to exceed the recommended 70lbs by more than 2-4lbs and I would do my best to try and sell you a new bow.. ;)

As a last thought, I would also advise getting your draw weigh verified on a professional grade scale by at a reputable bow shop... I have had countless customers incorrectly measure their draw weights with inferior scales.

Hi Mr. West,

It's not uncommon for bow limbs to be cranked down to exceed their listed draw weight capabilities by a few pounds. Most limbs can safely carry draw weights slightly higher than their stated maximums. However, most manufactures obviously recommend that you do not do this for obvious reasons, and you will definitely void any warranty by doing so..

Even if there is room for more adjustment, I also suggest not to exceed 40-50lbs of torque when adjusting the limb bolts.. In other words, if you are cranking the limb bolts as hard as possible to get the most adjustment possible, you are likely exceeding the safe limits of the limbs regardless of the poundage. Additionally, 16-year-old limbs are going to be more brittle and less resilient to added stress. If you were my customer, I would not advise you to exceed the recommended 70lbs by more than 2-4lbs and I would do my best to try and sell you a new bow.. ;)

As a last thought, I would also advise getting your draw weigh verified on a professional grade scale by at a reputable bow shop... I have had countless customers incorrectly measure their draw weights with inferior scales.

Thanks @BSO Dave !

The more I have played around with the bow this year and started getting back into archery, the more I've convinced myself its time for a new(er) bow... Im looking pretty hard at a Hoyt Axius Ultra right now.. if I can get a good deal on it, I think I'll grab it.. its a 2020 model, but is in practically new condition from what I can tell, and would be a serious step up from my old PSE...

Theres also a 1 year old Hoyt Ventum for sale at my local Scheels that might be a good option.. they want too much for it to be honest.. I can get a new one for less than $150 more than what they want for the used one on the shelf... but.. assuming it doesnt sell, Scheels is usually pretty good about adjusting pricing after a couple of months.. I'm just keeping my eye on it for now.. Thankfully LH bows with orangutan draw lengths dont sell super quickly (although they also arent common or easy to find..)..

I'll shoot you a PM on another issue Ive got a question on...

Thanks again!

Ive got an appointment to go see a bow tech at Cabelas that I know pretty well.. he's not your typical Cabelas bow tech (he's a good bit more experienced and knowledgeable than the guys I have dealt with there in the past)... he's actually a department manager there, but owned his own bow shop in Oklahoma for several years before COVID helped cause its collapse.. I want to make absolutely certain everything is tuned as best as possible, and everything is in good working order before I get on a plane in 29 days headed for South Africa..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joniparker

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.