Blaser R8 & Dangerous Game?

Sold the 416RM with the steel receiver and kickstop stock to another member. It was way too heavy for me to carry all day on a stalk.

Picked up an aluminum receiver stock with a 17mm profile 375H&H from the kitchen table of @TOBY458. Nice and light at 10 lbs with a 1-8x Swaro.

The 375 H&H is what I would get, probably with a companion 300 win mag barrel. That's the perfect combo, IMHO. A 1-8x Swaro scope? Nice!!! If I get a R8, that's the scope I'd top it with for sure. I've been going through my guns and going to be unloading quite a few of them, probably throw a few up on the classified section to see if anyone on here would like them. Maybe I'll add a few more to the pile and start looking at the R8 again :)

The 375 H&H is what I would get, probably with a companion 300 win mag barrel. That's the perfect combo, IMHO. A 1-8x Swaro scope? Nice!!! If I get a R8, that's the scope I'd top it with for sure. I've been going through my guns and going to be unloading quite a few of them, probably throw a few up on the classified section to see if anyone on here would like them. Maybe I'll add a few more to the pile and start looking at the R8 again :)
That’s my combo, 300WM and 375H&H because they both use the same bolt head. Been on the Swaro Z8i for a while now with 3 to match our 3 barrels.

That’s my combo, 300WM and 375H&H because they both use the same bolt head. Been on the Swaro Z8i for a while now with 3 to match our 3 barrels.
That's an awesome setup...jealous :) I bought my son his R8 in 300 win mag figuring he could add the 375 barrel down the road....put it in the Blazer case that holds two barrels and scopes...don't need more than that....

That's an awesome setup...jealous :) I bought my son his R8 in 300 win mag figuring he could add the 375 barrel down the road....put it in the Blazer case that holds two barrels and scopes...don't need more than that....
Not sure what case you picked up, but the ones made by Negrini they currently sell are not ideal for airline travel. More for driving in a car.

I’d highly recommend buying a Pelican 1700 case without foam, then buying PE foam from Amazon. The foam that the Pelican cases come with is not really good for firearms. Also, keep an eye on eBay for a used Pelican case. Some really good deals out there.

Not sure what case you picked up, but the ones made by Negrini they currently sell are not ideal for airline travel. More for driving in a car.

I’d highly recommend buying a Pelican 1700 case without foam, then buying PE foam from Amazon. The foam that the Pelican cases come with is not really good for firearms. Also, keep an eye on eBay for a used Pelican case. Some really good deals out there.
I bought the Blazer case for him....it met all the airline rules for checking, unless they changed them again...

This is what the Negrini rifle case looks like...
1710273061575.png

This is my case that was a collaboration between Pelican & Blaser, but is now discontinued.
1710273216238.png

I also own a Negrini case that came with my Blaser F3 shotgun...
1710273301660.png

I will say that the decision is yours, however I would not trust the Negrini case with my rifle or shotgun to any baggage handlers regardless of who said it meets all the requirements for airline travel. There is a big difference in what is required by the TSA (or other country equivalent) and how the people who are touching your bags will handle them. Baggage handlers have their own set of "rules" and considering the Negrini locks can be pried open with a butter knife...the absence or poor condition of the contents on arrival would not shock me.

BTW - a used Pelican 1700 can go for as little as $150 on eBay if you take your time or buy a new one for $300. Cheap insurance considering it's less than 10% of the cost of the rifle it will be protecting.

I had my first play with Blaser optics last week. Fucking brilliant best describes them.

My mates bought his first R8 and decided to go full Blaser.it’s a 1 to 6 rail scope with illumination and IC control. I reckon that will be my next scope purchase.

I can absolutely confirm the R8 375 H&H will work well on cape buffalo!!!
I own several R8’s, everything that I’ve pointed it at and pulled the trigger on is dead, my son and I will both be shooting R8’s in .375 for an upcoming buffalo cull trip, we are feeling pretty confident that our R8’s will do the business.

The general trend with Blasers is the people who have them are usually very happy with them and the people who find fault with them usually have little to no first-hand experience with them.

I can understand a gunsmith not liking them: they come from the factory good to go, excellent trigger, reliable, etc. There is no need for a gunsmith to touch them.

I just bought a Blaser Kilombero in 458 Lott for buffalo in Africa, so I am a bit biased in saying you have made the perfect choice for a buffalo rifle.

I'd love to see a few more pics of your Kilombero
Like to see some pictures when you have a chance. Always enjoy looking at the timber stocked Blaser rifles with the pancake cheekpiece instead of the double-rabbet.

Like to see some pictures when you have a chance. Always enjoy looking at the timber stocked Blaser rifles with the pancake cheekpiece instead of the double-rabbet.

I do not own one but I have handled them at several shows, and read more than I’d care to admit about them. They are arguably the nicest repeating rifles in existence. I think that you will have a ball with that thing on a buff hunt.

This is what the Negrini rifle case looks like...
View attachment 592703
This is my case that was a collaboration between Pelican & Blaser, but is now discontinued.
View attachment 592708

I also own a Negrini case that came with my Blaser F3 shotgun...
View attachment 592709

I will say that the decision is yours, however I would not trust the Negrini case with my rifle or shotgun to any baggage handlers regardless of who said it meets all the requirements for airline travel. There is a big difference in what is required by the TSA (or other country equivalent) and how the people who are touching your bags will handle them. Baggage handlers have their own set of "rules" and considering the Negrini locks can be pried open with a butter knife...the absence or poor condition of the contents on arrival would not shock me.

BTW - a used Pelican 1700 can go for as little as $150 on eBay if you take your time or buy a new one for $300. Cheap insurance considering it's less than 10% of the cost of the rifle it will be protecting.

That black case is the one I wanted to get but there weren't any available...if and when I get a R8, I'll do the custom Pelican option you suggested...the second case is similar to the one I got my son, just the double rifle barrel version...it's a sweet case but don't know as I'd trust it all the way to Africa and back...

Really wish Merkel would make a 375 H&H barrel for the RX Helix, really like the straight pull mechanics of my rifle, though it is pretty finicky on ammo where my son's R8 isn't. They make a 9.3x62 barrel for it, and there isn't that much difference between that and a 375. Guess I'll just have to break down at some point and get a R8 with a 300 win mag and 375 H&H combo some day....the sacrifices we have to make LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.