Auction Hunt in Africa?

Off topic but what issue was your RSA hunt article in? I enjoyed your article about Takeri and would like to check it out if I still have that issue.
That is very kind of you. It is titled "Up Close and Personal in the Limpopo" in the Spring 2019 issue. As a subscriber, you can also access all the back issues digitally on their site.

Bought two auction hunts at DSC in 2022. One to a ranch hunt for plains game in SA 4 hunters or 2. $1000 trophy fees included for each hunter. Everyone wants to go to Africa until you put them on the spot, as in, let’s book airfare. Had to let it go and eat my $$. Bought another auction for close to full price at Tholo Safaris in Botswana. Place I had been wanting to go. The wife and I went and had a great time, after spending a week self touring in Namibia along the Skeleton Coast.

Did not read past the first 4 or 5 posts yet, but I am one of those who has been on a safari from an Auction Hunt. 2 of them actually; 1 in Africa and another in Argentina. My brother purchased both at SCI banquet events for a local chapter. I don't recall the exact organization/event, but you get the idea.
1st was Africa, hunted in 2017. I have a full write up of that hunt somewhere in these forums, but I'll give a synopsis here. The package included day rates and a $500 trophy credit per hunter, 4 hunters going 2x1. We paid about $400 per person (3 of us instead of 4) for the auction, I don't recall exactly the price. Airport pickup was an extra cost. All the usual exclusions (dip and pack, gratuities, airfare, etc.). And they had a 2 trophy minimum per hunter, but no restrictions on what those were, it could be the 2 least expensive trophies if you wanted. I never felt any pressure to shoot more or animals I didn't want. I did spend a lot more than I could have had I bought a packaged deal from any numer of those advertising deals on this site, or what I saw at DSC this past weekend. Some of that was naivety, some because I didn't know if/when I'd ever go back. My brother shot only 2 animals because he had another hunt (that ended up falling through) lined up to go back the next year with some included trophies. ... overall, it was not the "deal" it seemed to be by buying it cheap. I'd absolutely do it again and not regret it but I think same or better values can easily be found.

Hunt 2 in Argentina was easily the best value hunt I've ever been on. My brother gifted me the hunt as a present and I don't know exactly how much it cost him, but I know it was a steal. It included 2 red stag, 2 blackbuck, 1 water buffalo and all day fees and transfer from local airport. I did add some wing shooting and other activities, but that was purely by choice and not in any way pressured to do so. I also hunted for a 2nd blackbuck when i had an extra day after completing my original two, but told them I was only interested in finding an exceptional trophy, not taking another of same size as the first. Another day I went for feral ram but we didn't find any. ... For this one, I wish I could find another deal as sweet as this one was. I've looked for them actually, and would jump at the chance to do it again.

Read the fine print on every auction/ contract.
I have had good luck with auction hunts.
But i always keep in mind the outfitter makes nothing/ very little until i do add ons. So i always make it worth while for them. Its a business at the end of the day… In return i have been treated more than fair and most times been given extra animals or days for no charge. I have 2 more planned for this summer. I can’t say how the hunt will be… i can say the communication between the 2 outfitters have been top notch. You can’t go wrong with Afrihunt spent 20 days with them we didn’t stop laughing the entire time. Great family!
Unfortunately it will be years before i will return to some of these outfits as i want to do a new African country each time until i have hit most of them.

I've "rolled the dice" twice and it has worked out wonderfully for me.

However, I wouldn't recommend that approach.

Just post on this forum "Have you hunted with "X" ?", and PM the members who have hunted with the outfitter with any sensitive questions.

Outside of RSA and Namibia, you are likely to hear anything. It got crazy with my last hunt to Mozambique, because there were friends of the old holder of the concession that told me that the current holder was a fraud. There were more recent hunters who had actually hunted with current concession holder and told me that their experience was great.

After the old concession holder's son called me (and I had never given my phone number to anyone on this forum, so "CREEPY" became my dominate thought), I decided to go with the current concession holder.

The hunt exceeded all of my expectations!

Bottom line - get referrals from the people on this forum...

Cape Buffalo.

I also got permits for baboon and spotted hyena.

I got a baboon, but found it a little too grueling to tough it out all it out all night in a leopard blind waiting for a hyena.

IMG_0536.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought two hunts last year in Nashville. Hunts included specific animals and x amount of days. Added a few days and a couple animals and spent 30 days in africa and Namibia with my wife and son and ended up taking 20 animals. This gives outfitter a little incentive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioPen

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone