April Roe deer hunting Serbia

rgsiii

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
At my state SCI event, I was the high bidder of a Roe Deer hunt in Serbia. The owner of the operation suggested that I do the hunt in April. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of doing this? I assume they would have their antlers back by that time. This would be for 2025.

The advantage is low vegetation and cool temperatures and also by going very early in season few bucks have been taken so far that year. I haven’t hunted roe deer in Serbia but the disadvantage if you go too early in spring could be the bucks have not yet established their territories and are still in a winter pattern. They will also have much lighter colored horns than later in summer since they are recently out of velvet.

At my state SCI event, I was the high bidder of a Roe Deer hunt in Serbia. The owner of the operation suggested that I do the hunt in April. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of doing this? I assume they would have their antlers back by that time. This would be for 2025.
I hunted from Croatian side, near border to Serbia. Same region.

Area. Vojvodina, North Serbia.

This area was once covered by Panonian sea. In the soil often can be found sea shells from that time, for example.

This left the soil rich with minerals, and in turn makes probably the best roe bucks trophies in europe. Strongest antlers.
There are plains and crop fields, you can expect long shots, 300 meters. Usual shooting is from stick.

Other areas.
There are other roe buck areas in central Serbia, such as hills and mountains, but they will not produce the best trophies, such as on the plains in the north of the country.

Early season, april, up to may.
advantages:
- low grass and vegetation, good visibility over fields
- high numbers of game on the beginning of season
- moderate weather and climate

Disadvantages of early season
- are not against hunter, but a mangament issue:
- in theory, the best trophy old bucks should be left to be taken out on the end of season in fall in order to pass the genes to next generation during rut. Early season should be used to take only lower qualitiy game, to take away from gene pool. However, this does not happen always, outfitters are under commercial pressure. What old bucks managed to make till previous rut, they managed.

Mid season, june, july,
Advantages.
None. But hunt doable, more efforts required to spot the game

Disadvatnages:
High grass, high crops, low visibility, hard to spot the buck
Mosquitoes, heat

Rut season
end of july, beginning of august
Advantages: hunt is dynamic and interesting because roe bucks come to calling, they are responsive.
Calling can be used to hunt from blind.

Disadvantages:
High grass, high crops, low visibility, hard to spot the buck
Mosquitoes, heat

Post rut season up till end of season
Advantages
Better climate, less mosquitos.

Disadvantages.
Less game. Roe bucks exhausted after rut, hide in woods, take rest, collect fat for winter. Small movement of animals. Smaller number of game around in late season. More efforts to be made to spot the game

I have hunted Roe Deer & Boar with Sasha in Serbia. I was there the first week of June 2018 and the wheat was so high that you could only see the antlers most of the time.. Most of the hunting is crop land - I would agree with Sasha that April would be a very good time to hunt there.. It is also surprisingly hot in June...

Sasha is awesome - you will enjoy the hunt for sure!! If I can answer any questions let me know...

I talked with him at Nashville - gonna go back soon!!

92A05D2E-D345-4718-B2F0-2ABDD03EE9EB_1_105_c.jpeg

For sure one of the prime regions to hunt roe bucks!

I would take hunting Roebuck in Crotia in April and/or May over any period of time because of the heat and visibility.
If you hunt in Central and Northern Europe June is a good time.

Balkan women are absolutely gorgeous BTW.. Of course that only applies if you're single :cool:

Vojvodina - the north of Serbia is the best terrain for hunting roe deer. At the beginning of the season, the older bulls have already cleaned their horns and the vegetation is not high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWYJada061

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!