“Safari” vs Hunting Trip?

For some unknown reason, this question crossed my mind today. The longer I considered it, the less certain the answer became.

What is the difference between a “safari” vs a hunting trip?
The word *safari" means "journey" in Swahili. So to me a hunting trip in Africa is a safari. I am however, not impressed by the little old ladies that stay in a plush lodge and go out in a zebra-striped bus to see the park animals. Technically they are correct, but to me a safari involves dirt, African night sounds, campfires and hunting. When I'm in the states and telling people where a I've been, I usually say "hunting safari" to avoid confusion.

To me, a safari is a trip to hunt in wild areas in Africa and in areas where it is possible to fly camp, if needed.

Photo safaris are not true safaris. In the old days, safaris were for hunting in wild areas, not photography.

Safari makes me think of the plains of Africa

Shikar makes me think of the jungles of Asia

Hunting trip seems like a very generic term to me.
Yep, a safari should be a hunt in Africa. A hunting trip involves travel to an area where you spend the night in your own country while hunting. I believe you're right about "shikar" but I've never been to Asia.

Privilege is a word that gets tossed around a lot. Usually by those who haven’t sacrificed to achieve their goals to describe those who have. I know that the only times I have felt truly privileged is on safari. To have been able to participate in the world’s most exciting, rewarding and romantic obsession…safari…is the greatest privilege I have known. Safari is Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohitgupta

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg